Deceptively difficult? Lock a range of cells (block) after enter a specific value in one cell

lucian688

Board Regular
Hi I have spreadsheet & I am hoping to have a block of cells (e.g., A1:D10) locked upon changing a cell (e.g., F15 having an entry of "Yes"). I.e., any other value such as "No" will not lock cells A1:D10. Additionally, anyway to embed the code without having to run the macro each time opening up the spreadsheet would be nice.

Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Luke

Last edited:
Okay let me give it another shot to clarify. So the idea is to add a name stamp "John" anywhere/any cell on the worksheet before the entire sheet is locked to prevent tempering.

So in the example above, by change F15 to "Yes", let's say F16 will print "John" then the entire worksheet is locked.
This should do what you have requested assuming the sheet is protected, but with whatever cells you want the user to enter "Yes" in unlocked to begin with. If the user enters "Yes" in any one of those cells, the cell immediately below will be stamped with "John" and ALL cells will be locked. This means you will have to unprotect the sheet to make any further changes to it.
Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Me.Protect Password:="pswd", userinterfaceonly:=True
Me.Cells.Locked = False
Set Target = Target.Cells(1, 1)
If Target.Value <> "Yes" Then Exit Sub
Target.Offset(1, 0).Value = "John"
Me.Cells.Locked = True
End Sub
Substitute your password for the one in bold red.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Wait, the worksheet will need to be unprotected to allow entry. Then, let's say the reviewer John will evidence his review in Cell F15 "Yes", and a name stamp should appear in Cell F16 "John", then the worksheet is locked. Is this possible?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wait, the worksheet will need to be unprotected to allow entry. Then, let's say the reviewer John will evidence his review in Cell F15 "Yes", and a name stamp should appear in Cell F16 "John", then the worksheet is locked. Is this possible?
That's what the code is doing now. But, after John enters his "Yes", because you want the name stamp in the same column as the Yes, in order to protect the stamp, that column, along with the rest of the sheet, per your request in post #10 has to ne locked. At that point, no user can make any entry to the sheet until the sheet is unprotected by someone who has the password.

Why not stamp the name in another column and leave the Yes column unlocked? The code below will stamp the name in the same row as the Yes, but in the next column to the right. So, if the user enters "Yes" in F15, the name will be put in G15. Any user can subsequently delete the Yes, but not the name.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Me.Protect Password:="pswd", userinterfaceonly:=True
Set Target = Target.Cells(1, 1)
If Target.Value <> "Yes" Then Exit Sub
Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = "John"
Me.Cells.Locked = True
Range("F:F").Cells.Locked = False
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back