Deriving a live TIMEVALUE from the NOW() function

Rob_GC_Excel

Hi,

I'm currently building a data model for my work, I've built a giant =IFS statement to return a value based on the current time:

=IFS(AND(F3>=TIMEVALUE("00:00 AM"),F3<TIMEVALUE("00:15 AM")),"00:00 - 00:15",AND(F3>=TIMEVALUE("12:15 AM"),F3<TIMEVALUE("12:30 AM")),"00:15 - 00:30" ... "23:45 - 00:00"

(This code returns a string value for a 15-minute time range. The time string "HH:MM - HH:MM" is the unique value in column A that connects to the amount of Gross Sales in that time in column B. That's not really important, just a bit of background information on what I'm trying to achieve.)

The value F3 is where the current time is stored. Originally I used the NOW() function and formatted it to hours and minutes, but that was returning an #N/A value. When I manually enter a time, the formula works fine, returns the correct value. You just can't get a timevalue on the NOW() function.

Ideally I wanted to have the spreadsheet I'm working on automated so that whenever I refresh it updates the time automatically, if I can't than it's not a huge hassle, but I was wondering if anybody knew any smart workarounds taking the =NOW() formula and converting it to a hard-coded value in another cell which I can then call upon to use the IFS statement. I've tried LEFT and RIGHT functions but they return a serial number.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
H Rob
I think one way to do this is to use in the cell
=NOW()-INT(NOW())
You will get a decimal number because times in excel are decimal numbers and dates are whole numbers
So now you format the cell as time and you are all set
Cheers
Sergio

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back