Detect when individual cells were changed, cells not in a range...

spacely

Board Regular
Hello,

I have a snippet of code which detects when a cell in a range is changed. I'd like to use it to detect when several cells not in a continuous range on the same sheet are changed...one option would be to define a bunch of ranges and do-while through them all, I guess. here's my starting point. Maybe there's a better way?:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim KeyCells As Range

Set KeyCells = Range("AK98")

If Not Application.Intersect(KeyCells, Range(Target.Address)) Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "Cell " & Target.Address & " has changed."
End If
End Sub

I poked around on the forums, and solved it:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim KeyCells As Range
Dim isect As Range
Dim cell As Range
Dim rDependents As Range

If [captureCellHistory].Value = 1 Then
Set KeyCells = Range("S:ZZ") ' should be big enough to capture all hardware added, I hope...specify non-continuous ranges like: Range("AK98, AL99, AN101:AN104")
Set isect = Intersect(KeyCells, Target)

If Not isect Is Nothing Then ' detects things typed into cells, and if a VBA script changes the cell value. Doesn't detect changes due to recalculations due to cell formulas!
For Each cell In isect
lastRow = Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row ' add onto bottom of cell history list
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 1).Value = Now ' date/time of this edit
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 2).Value = Application.UserName ' username of person who made edit
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 3).Value = ActiveSheet.name ' sheet name of this edit
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 4).Value = cell.Row ' row number of this edit
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 5).Value = cell.Column ' column number of this edit
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 6).Value = cell.Value ' cell value of this edit
Next cell
End If

On Error Resume Next
Set rDependents = Target.Dependents
If Err.Number > 0 Then
Exit Sub
End If
Set isect = Intersect(rDependents, KeyCells)
If Not isect Is Nothing Then ' detects cell changes due to formula calculations
For Each cell In isect
lastRow = Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row ' add onto bottom of cell history list
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 1).Value = Now ' date/time of this edit
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 2).Value = Application.UserName ' username of person who made edit
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 3).Value = ActiveSheet.name ' sheet name of this edit
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 4).Value = cell.Row ' row number of this edit
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 5).Value = cell.Column ' column number of this edit
Worksheets("cell histories").Cells(lastRow + 1, 6).Value = cell.Value ' cell value of this edit
Next cell
End If
End If

End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back