Determine Next Number based on Previous Dice Rolls

aggiemarine07

Howdy everyone,

I have a general question for anyone who is smart in statistics. For a school project I am wanting to see if I can predict, with a probability percentage, what the next dice roll will be based on previous dice rolls. For example:

If with a give two set of dice I roll in this order a 4,7,12,3,5,4, and 2, what is the most likely number to be rolled next? Ideally I would like it broken down so that it shows the probability of each number between 2 and 12 to be rolled on the next dice roll.

I have experimented with the HYPGEOM.DIST formula but it is based on the fact that the previous number influences the next number and it is not that accurate until every number has been rolled once. I have also played around with the BINOM.DIST function but cant get it to work correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
The probability of a dice coming to a particular total is not affected by previous rolls.

Many people have lost lots of money proving this.

Upvote 0
thats what I thought. Each roll is independent of the roll previous to it so rolling a 2 has the same chance in the first roll as the second. Just wanted to see if anyone knew something different, thanks for the feedback!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwguy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back