Differences between Access 2000 and Access 2013

rileydog

Size differences between Access 2000 and Access 2013. For some of my users, I converted an Access 2000 database to Access 2013. When files were created for a new year in the Access 2000 database and were emptied, the file size would show a zero size. However when an Access 2013 file is created for the new year and all the data is removed from the filze, the file size shows it is the same size like it still contained data. Thus can you tell me why the file size remains the same even though there is no data in the file? Is there something I can do to make the file size be set back to zero?

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Thus can you tell me why the file size remains the same even though there is no data in the file?
I cannot for sure because there are lots of reasons for bloat (non-query def sql, over-use of temp/query made tables, adding/deleting records, renaming objects, not releasing memory allocated to DAO recordsets, etc.).

Is there something I can do to make the file size be set back to zero?
Compact/Repair option; or opening db with command line switch to do a deeper level compact/repair. However, I do not see how even a back end with one empty table and nothing else could have a file size of zero. It does not sound possible.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back