Disable un-sharing by casual users

EuroSong

Hi all,

I'm using Excel 2007, and I want to prevent users from un-ticking the shared workbook box. My searches so far come up with 2 solutions, which do not work for me:

1) Use "Protect & Share workbook" with a password. But this is unsuitable because it appears you can only protect the sharing with a password <u>if you agree to track changes</u>. But I do not want to track changes. The workbook is shared among several users, and changes are extremely frequent: if I were to track them, then the change history would become enormous and the file would become unnecessarily bloated, slow and unstable. I can not work out why Microsoft decided to link the sharing-with-protection feature ONLY to those workbooks with changes being tracked.

2) Use the following code:
Application.CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar").Controls("Tools").Controls("Share Work&book...").Enabled = False

Apparently this is supposed to grey-out the menu item, so while it does not actually prevent sharing being turned off, it stops casual users from being able to do it through the UI. However I have tried this, and it does nothing at all. The forum posts which contain this advice refer to Excel 2003: so it is likely that the ribbon structure in Excel 2007 is labelled differently. However, I can not find any similar code which should work for Excel 2007.

Can anyone help please? All I want is to stop casual users from being able to un-share the workbook, without having to track changes.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back