Disappearing Checkboxes

Kappy

Board Regular
I have a worksheet with some checkboxes in it (form control) and whenever I "save as" the file... they disappear (literally gone from the worksheet!)

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
What file format are you saving as?

Do you hide any rows or columns, or filter data?

Upvote 0
I'm saving as XLSM (in Excel 2010 if that matters)

I do have a lot of hidden rows/columns. Very specifically, all of the checkboxes are in a hidden cell. It's built so that the user presses a button which unhides the cell with all the checkboxes.. then they can select what they want to see via those checkboxes, and then a macro hides certain rows/columns based on what is checked or not.

Upvote 0
Depending on the properties of the checkboxes, they could move or resize when a row or column is hidden. Right-click on a chekbox and select Format Control. On the Properties tab, play with the Object Positioning properties to see if that has any affect.

Alternatively, your button that shows the hidden cell could also set the checkbox's properties e.g.;
Sheets("Sheet1").CheckBoxes("Check Box 1").Visible = True

Upvote 0
I have the properties set to "move and size with cell"... which I must do in order to have them hide when I hide the cells.

What's interesting, is that the .Visible = True code doesn't work, but it also doesn't error out (meaning that the checkboxes aren't totally gone somehow!)

Just to confirm your understanding, you think it's "normal" that I wouldn't be able to save a checkbox in a hidden cell?

Upvote 0
Just to confirm your understanding, you think it's "normal" that I wouldn't be able to save a checkbox in a hidden cell?

Normal? No.

I think something is happening related to hiding the cell, but I don't know exactly what. So I'm throwing out suggestions as I don't have access your your workbook.

Perhaps the checkboxes are resized to 0 when hidden and then you save. Then they are not resized to their original pre-saved size when the cell is unhidden? If that''s the case, you could use VBA to set their size.

Upvote 0
I wrote about this about a year ago. I believe MS Help forum indicated it was a known bug and one tey don't plan to resolve. It drove me nuts for days, until I found the blog. Check out the MS Community Help. I may be wrong.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue what I had to do was unhide all rows on save when they are hidden they disappear but when they aren't hidden they don't

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBFrieds

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back