Disregard Blank Cells while using Conditional Format?

Portland_Blue

I just started a job that sometimes requires a lot of excel usage (and knowledge), so I am extremely excited to find this website and such a large collective of Excel brains!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Currently, I have an excel workbook that has 5 sheets in it, all with the same general template (it’s an accounting spreadsheet with the same headers)- I need to make it so that various cells in the middle columns fill with various colors depending on the value (e.g. -2 to + 2 = yellow, less than -2 = red, and greater than +2 = green).
<o:p> </o:p>
In order to expedite this process, I tried selecting all sheets, then selecting columns D-F (where the cells are located), and applying conditional formatting (using “Cell Value is” and “Value is less than -2 = red” and so forth).

However, doing so colors every empty cell in columns D-F yellow! Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks very much for your assistance!

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Welcome to the board

Do you want this:
Sheet1

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Arial; FONT-SIZE: 8pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 30px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><COL style="WIDTH: 56px"><COL style="WIDTH: 63px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 19px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">-1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 19px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">2</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">1</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 19px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The conditional formatting rule I've used in A1 (then copied to the other cells) is, for when the condition is true so apply the formatting:
Code:
AND(LEN(A1)>0,ABS(A1)<3)
I'm using Excel 2007, though I think this should work in 2003

Upvote 0
Hi JDI:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
What you posted is what I’m looking for, in its simplest form; essentially, if there are values in the cell, -2 to +2 = yellow, less than -2 = red, greater than +2 = green.
Right now the sheet has the conditional formatting applied to it already, with the values being -5 to +5 = yellow (and so on; the percentages used to be 5’s and now I need to change them to 2’s).
The original person who worked with this sheet applied conditional formatting using “cell value is” conditions for the 3 values (and 3 colors), and for some reason I can’t apply a 4<SUP>th</SUP> condition (the formula that you gave me).
I’ve attached a copy of the sheet here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60846417@N03/5860156857/sizes/l/in/photostream/
Essentially, when I highlight columns D,E and F and apply conditional formatting (just by going into the existing conditional formatting and changing the values from 5’s to 2’s), it changes EVERY blank cell (to yellow); I imagine it’s because excel counts blank cells as “0,” which is between -2 and +2, but I’m not sure how to overcome this- again, it won’t let me apply a 4<SUP>th</SUP> condition to the sheet.

Thanks again, JDI! Your help is much appreciated!
-PortlandBlue

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k_bs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back