Drop Down List content question

demasijr6

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have created a comma delimited drop down list and now I want to create another list in a separate column but in it I need to be able to post numbers as well as my pre-determined list. For example I want to have a list that says, "emailed directly, system gen email, recall notice, 1-time passcode" and in addition to this list I want to be able to type or copy and paste numbers that will be different each time 1111222233334444 (just an example the numbers will be a 16 digit number generated by one of the applications I use).

Is there a way for me to do this?

I would appreciate any help!! Thank you!

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
How do you create your randomly generated numbers? Is there a formula? if it is ad-hoc how can you represent it with a formula.
You use excel 365, so using VSTACK to build an array and store it in a range is straightforward. The form just needs to know how you will create the random 16 digit numbers.

using the xl2bb add in (link below) to share what your worksheet looks like (and the numeric values to paste) would be extremely helpful. If you cant do that, then please post a table, not an image.

Upvote 0
If you create your list as a named range and include a blank cell in the list, you should be able to use data validation with that list and copy/paste or input strings.
1712080609930.png

Upvote 1
Solution
If you create your list as a named range and include a blank cell in the list, you should be able to use data validation with that list and copy/paste or input strings.
View attachment 109346
Thank you, I would like to try this. Where did you go to create the StatusList on the right?
View attachment 109346
That worked! Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help!

Upvote 0
Your layout is probably different, as I'm on an old version of Excel, but you should be able to find the Name Manager in the Formula tab on the ribbon. You can highlight your list and use "create from selection" or choose "Define Name" and enter your lists' range manually.

1712092045494.png

Glad to have helped; thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
View attachment 109346
I really need some help with this fast. This was working perfectly fine, until today. All of a sudden when I enter a random number I am getting an error
1713821763937.png

I haven't changed anything at all.

The only difference for me is in the refers to field it is =Sheet2!$A$2:$A$9

1713827857676.png

I'm sorry, I'm on a work computer so I can't download the extension that would allow me to upload the mini-sheet.

HELP! Please!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Is there an empty cell in your defined range? If not, try that.

Upvote 0
Book1
ABC
1Case#Status# of subs
22063111completed
Sheet1
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B2:B20List=StatusList

1713831522004.png

Upvote 0
Without seeing your sheet, I can only guess at what's happening. Can you screenshot the data validation rules and named range dialogues? Also, make sure that the empty cells in the defined range are truly empty, and not empty strings "". You can use =isblank(a1) in cell B1 and fill down. Anything that looks blank but has an empty string or only space characters will show as FALSE.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rache47

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back