Drop Down List content question

demasijr6

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have created a comma delimited drop down list and now I want to create another list in a separate column but in it I need to be able to post numbers as well as my pre-determined list. For example I want to have a list that says, "emailed directly, system gen email, recall notice, 1-time passcode" and in addition to this list I want to be able to type or copy and paste numbers that will be different each time 1111222233334444 (just an example the numbers will be a 16 digit number generated by one of the applications I use).

Is there a way for me to do this?

I would appreciate any help!! Thank you!

Book1
ABC
1Case#Status# of subs
22063111completed
Sheet1
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B2:B20List=StatusList

View attachment 110354

I am trying to work in column C on sheet 1. That is where I need to enter the drop down list. My list is on sheet 2. I had the list set up for cells A1:A9. Cell A1 was the name StatusList. I changed the list to go cells A2: A9.

I tried doing a named range and that doesn't work. It's almost as though Excel did some kind of update and now what I'm trying to do doesn't work.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Book1
ABC
1Case#Status# of subs
22063111completed
Sheet1
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B2:B20List=StatusList

View attachment 110354
I figured it out. I had to uncheck the Show error alert box on the Error Alert tab. I'm back to working again! Thankfully!!!!
Without seeing your sheet, I can only guess at what's happening. Can you screenshot the data validation rules and named range dialogues? Also, make sure that the empty cells in the defined range are truly empty, and not empty strings "". You can use =isblank(a1) in cell B1 and fill down. Anything that looks blank but has an empty string or only space characters will show as FALSE.
Thank you!!! I found the problem!!! I had to uncheck the box on the Error Alert tab. That fixed the problem!!!

I really appreciate you helping.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back