Drop Down menu in cells

Haplo

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Can anyone please help me, I am trying to make a works roster simple by adding drop down menus in cells, rather then typing everything in.
I have the following in two columns on Sheet 1 and the roster on Sheet 2

Work Title Required
WORK 1
DCS 1
DCS DRIVING 1
DRIVING 1
STORES 1
STORES AM/PM 1
BASE DAY B
TRAINING T
ANNUAL LEAVE A/L
SICK S

The top six with 1's will be in different colours

So say I click on an empty cell for the Drop Down Menu and I want to say select "WORK," I want it to produce the next cell in the table ie. "1" and so on for the others.
I have tried using =IFNA(VLOOKUP, but it does not allow me to look up in the same cell i want the other information to be placed there, (hoping that is understandable).

Can this be done
Thanks in Advance
Haplo

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Here is a pic of the table to make it clearer
Again Thanks

Attachments

• Work TAble.jpg
    Work TAble.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
I am trying to understand what you want. It seems as if you want a drop down where you select a value from the work title column and the output should be the corresponding cell in Required. This seems pretty simplistic at first glance. Every time I tried a solution, it seemed as if I were missing something. It seems that you may be able to make a drop-down with conditional formatting for the Required cell based on the Work Title.

Can you talk through what you are trying to do, in plain english, no Excel info , if this then that etc?

Upvote 0
I am trying to understand what you want. It seems as if you want a drop down where you select a value from the work title column and the output should be the corresponding cell in Required. This seems pretty simplistic at first glance. Every time I tried a solution, it seemed as if I were missing something. It seems that you may be able to make a drop-down with conditional formatting for the Required cell based on the Work Title.

Can you talk through what you are trying to do, in plain english, no Excel info , if this then that etc?
Hello Blasirl.
Thank you for replying.

Basically what you said, "It seems as if you want a drop down where you select a value from the work title column and the output should be the corresponding cell in Required", is what I am trying to do, and the same with you, something seems to be missing as I always get an error message.

I set up a cell for the drop down, which is easy enough if you just want what is in the menu, i.e. if I click on WORK, I get WORK, what I want is to click on WORK and get from the next cell i.e.. 1,
I have tried =IFNA(VLOOKUP and =VLOOKUP but all I get is an error message stating, "Microsoft Excel cannot calculate a formula. There is a circular reference in an open workbook, but the references that cause it cannot be listed for you."

Again Thanks

Upvote 0
Again, what is the overall picture here, not the micro view. Can you talk through what you are trying to do, in plain english. Why do you want to do this? I ask as it will help me understand what approach to use.

Upvote 0
Again, what is the overall picture here, not the micro view. Can you talk through what you are trying to do, in plain english. Why do you want to do this? I ask as it will help me understand what approach to use.
I am trying to do a 2 week roster for work, for 30 employees, there is no sequential work pattern, so one week a person could work say Monday, Wednesday, Friday, the next week they could be working Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, so each week is different.
What I am trying to achieve is a grid 14x30, where instead of typing each day for each person and then colouring for each activity i.e. either Work, Driving, or DCS Driving etc.
Each cell has a drop down where I can pick their Work Title and the result shows the correct colour (Required Column) as per the Work Table I posted.
The Numbers in the Required Column would be used to total the number of employees working that day.

I hope this explains what i'm trying to do.

Again Thank You

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back