Drop Downs and adding

Fatguy

Heya guys and gals! :)
First off I'd like to explain what I want my excel sheet for.

I'm right now trying to shred the last bits of fat for the summer and thought I'd try a Keto diet, this depends heavily on not eating very many carbs, as well as keeping your total Kcal intake below maintenance.

This makes for a fairly tricky diet, as most things you generally eat contains alot of carbs, so I thought I'd make planning my meals easy, by creating an excel sheet, with drop down menues for different foods/drinks as well as their nutritional content.

I''d like it to look something like this, with the dropdown list under "Food"

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Food Carbs Protein Fat Energy (Kcal)
Breakfast
Breakfast#2
Drink
Total:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Lunch
Lunch2
Drink
Total:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dinner
Dinner2
Drink
Total:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Evening meal1
Evening meal2
Drink
Total:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
All day total:

I hope you get the idea
Now, I managed to create a drop down list of foods, and managed to get it tho show all the content I'm interested in, but I cant add the totals.

If i pick, 2 foods and a drink from my drop down list it changes the row that is shown, not the value in a specific row/column if you get what I'm trying to say, so I cant use a: =SUM(F1:F3:F5) thingie, cause that just adds the value in those rows in my list, not what i pick in the drop down.

I dont know if I'm making any sense, but I hope I can get some help here. I'm a complete novice when it comes to stuff like this and I've been sitting here all day long without making any progress whatsoever.

Best regards
/Johan

I have all the data for 100g of (insert food here), but if I could create a formula that allows me to change the size of the servings in the sheet, it would be excellent!

I didn't even wanna try doing that before I figured this other stuff out, but that would be pretty much spot on what I need ^^

I'm off to the Gym now, but I'll have another crack att this when I get back.

Thanx again!
/J

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
If you haven't got it figured out yet I have put together a little sample sheet of what I believe you are looking for. To get it exactly how you want (drop downs, servings, etc...), I found that the most simple way to do this includes (as previously mentioned by myself and another) making a sheet where you put your "menu" which includes the food (named with smallest serving size), grams of protein, grams of carbs, and grams of fat. Because you said you really havent even worked with excel before, I think it would be too difficult, at least at my level meaning I'm far from a genius, to explain all of the things used to create this plan that you want. In mine, I have included if statements (to get rid of #N/A in boxes when the food selection box is empty), vlookup, dropdowns, named ranges, and a few other simple things. If you would like to see this sample workbook, which I think would be good for you to see how things like vlookup and if statements can actually be used, just reply and I can e-mail it to you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back