Dual monitor annoyance, but only with Excel

EdNerd

(Windows 10 Enterprise and Microsoft 365 apps)
I work on a laptop so I have everything when I go into the field. When I'm in the office, I plug in a second monitor to have more working space. With that, I can open a workbook on the larger second monitor and something else on the laptop. But when I unplug and go into the field, any Excel file (and only Excel, apparently) that was opened on the second monitor remembers that position, and opens off screen. The only way I have found to retrieve it is to temporarily adjust my laptop screen resolution so I can see the file, then drag it over to work with it. But if I close and reopen, it goes right back to off the screen.

Is there a way to reset the stored window position of an Excel file? Or make my laptop forget the second monitor?

Ed

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Does this happen with any other applications, or just Excel? Sounds like a video card issue to me. When you unplug the second monitor then go to Windows video configuration (Settings, System, Display) does it still show two monitors? You may have to reset when you go back and forth.

I have used a laptop with second monitor and never experienced so otherwise I'm not sure how to fix it.

Upvote 0
Hi, Jeff. Former bass player here ....

It's just Excel that acts like this. My control panel shows only one monitor.
Maybe a global macro that shows the window position of any open workbook and allows me to change it??

Upvote 0
I found macro code at
that allows me to resize and reposition the workbook ActiveWindow . I'd rather figure out what's happening, but I'll take this in the meantime.

Ed

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back