Dynamic lookup without volatile functions

blanchdm

Hi folks,

I've got a (reasonably complicated) issue that I thought I had solved by learning how to use the INDIRECT function, but now I'm being told that my solution is inadequate because people don't like being asked to save changes when they quit if they know they didn't make any changes. Management, right? Anyway, here's the framing of my problem:

Each day, new data is gathered and put into this Excel sheet. Multiple data points are gathered each day at various values for each of my two predictor variables, so column A (number of days since a particular event) has a lot of repeated numbers in it. For example, there might be 25 different data points that were gathered on day 3, followed by another 18 data points gathered on day 4, and so on. I need a way to count how many repeated trials there are on a "per day" basis. My solution, of which I was quite proud, was to use this function to make column AF (it's a big data sheet) a "row counter" that changed its value when and only when the day in column A changed:

=IF(A4<>A3,ROW(),AF3)

Then, I was able to copy this function down the entirety of column AE:

=A3&" "&I3&" "&L3&" "&COUNTIFS(INDIRECT("R"&AF3&"C9",FALSE):I3,I3,INDIRECT("R"&AF3&"C12",FALSE):L3,L3)

My result is a concatenated column that has my Day (column A), first variable setting (column I), second variable setting (column L) and a count that starts with the first entry of each new day for how many repetitions of a given I, L combination have occurred in that day.

I need this concatenated column. I've been playing around with INDEX, MATCH, and ADDRESS, and I really feel like there should be something in there that can accomplish the same task without using INDIRECT or another volatile, "do you want to save changes" function. But I can't piece things together in a satisfactory way, so I'm turning to the larger internet community for guidance.

And, just to save you coders some time, I already tried a VBA macro. Management didn't like that either.

Any help is much appreciated!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinneytwin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back