Dynamic Print Range

Mgall

I am trying to set the print area to print only the area of the worksheet that contains text. Some cells contain formulas, so if you print the worksheet, 3 pages will be printed while only one may actually contain information.

I created a named range 'MyPrintArea' (with the scope set to the sheet level) and entered the following formula:

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,0,22+COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$23:$A$112,">0"),12)

This part works fine, and will return the correct range everytime as well as update as the sheet changes. The problem arises when i go to set the 'Print_Area' to equal my dynamic range 'MyPrintArea'. Instead of the named range, excel automatically updates the "refers to" area to the static range that 'MyPrintArea' is equal to at that time. Ex:

=MyPrintArea
changes to
=Sheet1!$A$1:$L$24

I have tried entering the offest formula directly into 'Print_Area' and get the same result. I have seen examples where this works fine for other users, and 'Print_Area' remains equal to the named range and updates along with it.

Any thoughts? <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Are you doing it in the Name Manager?

I created any random print area, then i went into the name manager and changed the value of Print Area = MyPrintArea.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I am using the name manager. I have also tried using the page setup options, but I still get the same results- where the dynamic range or formula is converted into a static range.

I just tried doing this in a blank workbook and it works, so I think my problem has something to do with the formatting of my worksheet... I have some cells merged and others conditionally formatted. Could there be an issue there?

Upvote 0
I think my issue was with the page formatting. When I switched the view from page layout to normal, the fomula started working... but now if I put it back into the page layout the formula won't work again. I guess I can live with the normal view, but if anyone has a workaround or can tell me why this happens I'd appreciate it.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
progress.gif

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burk0007

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back