Dynamically link to selected columns of a table in a separate xls (external reference)?

bw314

I have a large table in one xls. (An 'excel table' and named ranges.) What is the best method to use a subset of this data in another spreadsheet? I have tried a number of methods and internet searches, but feel that I do not have the best solution.

Working:
- Match, index & vlookup using the external filename & named range ex. match(A1,'filename.xls!NamedRange,0)
- Pivot table based on the 'filename.xls!NamedRange, but then all of the data in the original large table is carried into the linked spreadsheet. (More than I need.)

Not working:
- Structured references to 'Excel table' changed to #REF! whenever the xls is recalculated (while the source is closed).
- Offset function that refers to cell addresses or named ranges gives the same problem.
- MS Query: Can browse to the xls but not the named range.
- Data Connections: Can browse to the xls & its named range, but I have not determined how to reference that connection in the spreadsheet formulas.

I do not want to:
1) Use direct cell reference because I want the connection to be robust (i.e. not break if a column is added to the original spreadsheet).
2) Require the source spreadsheet to be open when recalculating the destination worksheet.

Any suggestions? Can I use a query? Thanks in Advance!

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Update: Despite the extra data, the Pivot Table is much more efficient (file size & speed) than the formulas.
Pivot Table:1 MB
Match/Index Formulas: 4.5 MB (Only 18 columns x 5600 rows, no special formatting. Surprised me. I deleted all excess blank rows & columns and save as new filename, but still big.)

For the Pivot Table, I can work around the Excel 2007 problem of blank (non-repeating labels) by including making the first column unique (ex. row numbers from the source table).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back