Reference Dynamic Table Header Name in Hyperlink

trishcollins

Okay, I have several tables on several worksheets. I have another table that lists all the formulas from the other tables, so that if I ever get hit by a bus, and someone wipes out the original formula in the other table, they can find it here. I am only using formulas in this spreadsheet, as VBA, although ideal, is too hard to maintain. This is temporary tool. Anyway, I have about 40 rows in this table, and rather than individually create a hyperlink, which is very time consuming but doable, I want to use the table name and the header name I have in my table already, to be used in the Hyperlink formula. I have been trying to figure this out for two days, using various combinations of INDEX, MATCH, ADDRESS, CELL, INDIRECT, ROW, etc. to no avail. Here is a sample of the table with the data. I need to reference this with the Hyperlink formula to the actual header name in the table. Any suggestions?

Table NameSheet NameHeader NameHyperlink
Client_Use_CasesUse Case Connectivity PatternsTarget Application Access Zone
Client_Use_CasesUse Case Connectivity PatternsConditions
Client_Use_CasesUse Case Connectivity PatternsSource Network
Business_Needs_MatrixBusiness Needs MatrixMapped to Preferred Network Connectivity
Preferred_Network_Connectivity_Mapped_to_Network_PathsNet Conn Mapped to Network PathCSP Target Type

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
This is a bit tricker. I am trying to reference using the HYPERLINK formula. The absolute name references work, but if I want to dynamically reference them, it doesn't work:

This works: =HYPERLINK(CELL("address",Client_Use_Cases),Client_Use_Cases[[#Headers],[Target Application Access Zone]])

This doesn't work; =HYPERLINK(CELL("address",INDIRECT([@Table Name]),INDIRECT([@Table Name])[[#Headers],INDIRECT[@Target Application Access Zone]])

I am sure it's just how I have put in the INDIRECT references, and I am pretty sure someone has done this at some point.

Upvote 0
Try putting "" around the references in the INDIRECT

Upvote 0
Try putting "" around the references in the INDIRECT
I did the following and resolved the issue, but it took two columns. In the first column I concatenated the necessary table and column names with the rest of the contents of what the Hyperlink needed:

I created a new column called "Hyperlink Helper" and entered this formula:
=CONCATENATE([@[Table or Range Names]]&",",[@[Table or Range Names]]&"[[#Headers],",[@[Header or Range Name]])
Which gave me this result:
Client_Use_Cases,Client_Use_Cases[[#Headers],Target Application Access Zone

I then put this in the Hyperlink cell:
=HYPERLINK(CELL("address",[@[Hyperlink Helper]]),[@[Header or Range Name]])

AND IT WORKED!

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back