VBA: Convert Cell Contents into Hyperlink on Cell Change

zero269

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I'm looking for a way to take the contents of a cell and convert it to a custom hyperlink when a cell change is detected. I'm currently using a drop-down list in one column, and another to build the custom URL using that drop-down list selection.

Here's what I'm using currently to only build the hyperlink if the cell is not blank, AND beginss with a lowercase letter.
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISBLANK([@[Digital Library]]),"",
IF(AND(CODE(LEFT([@[Digital Library]],1))>96,CODE(LEFT([@[Digital Library]],1))<123),
HYPERLINK(TEXTJOIN("",TRUE,"https://",[@[Digital Library]],".overdrive.com"),[@[Digital Library]]),""))
For example, the above formula will produce the following URL if the cell value is "lapl"
Rich (BB code):
https://lapl.overdrive.com
I was looking at the following post, but I'm not sure how to change it to achieve the same results my formula is doing.
I thought I could recycle an "Evaluate" code that I'm using elsewhere, but it's not liking it:
Excel Formula:
SetURL = Evaluate("FORMULA HERE")

I have another sheet where I'm using a Worksheet Change solution and suspect I'll reuse that and just change the part where action is taken on the cell changes to generate the hyperlink.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

'Set Change Scope to Table Column B only
If Intersect(Target, Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

Dim Changed As Range, c As Range
Dim Scheme As String, Subdomain As String, Domain As String

Scheme = "https://"
Domain = ".overdrive.com"

Set Changed = Intersect(Target, Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
   If Not Changed Is Nothing Then
   Application.EnableEvents = False

For Each c In Changed
      Subdomain = ActiveCell.Value
   If <cell is not blank> Then <create url/hyperlink>
      Next c

Application.EnableEvents = True
   End If

End Sub

Any advice would be greatly appreciated…

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Try the following...

VBA Code:
    For Each c In Changed
        Subdomain = c.Value
        If Len(Subdomain) > 0 Then c.Hyperlinks.Add c, Scheme & c.Value & Domain, , , c.Value
    Next c

Although, I would suggest the following instead...

VBA Code:

If Target.Cells.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub 'if more than one cell is changed, exit sub

If Target.Row > 1 Then 'if changed cell is located beyond the first row
        If Target.Column = 2 Then 'if changed cell is located in Column B

Dim Scheme As String
            Scheme = "https://"

Dim Domain As String
            Domain = ".overdrive.com"

Dim Subdomain As String
            Subdomain = Target.Value

If Len(Subdomain) > 0 Then Target.Hyperlinks.Add Target, Scheme & Target.Value & Domain, , , Target.Value

End If
    End If

End Sub

Hope this helps!

Upvote 1
Solution
Although, I would suggest the following instead...
Hello Domenic,

Thank you for helping me with this. I went with your 2nd suggestion and ran a quick test.

I was able to add in some validation and expand the behavior against two columns. However, I was wondering if is possible to set the range for a Table column instead of the entire column? I use ActiveSheet.ListObjects(1).ListColumns("Overdrive").DataBodyRange in some other places, but haven't been able to figure it out as a replacement for
VBA Code:
If Target.Column = 2 Then

In this case, I'm using two columns:
VBA Code:
ActiveSheet.ListObjects(1).ListColumns("Overdrive").DataBodyRange
ActiveSheet.ListObjects(1).ListColumns("cloudLibrary").DataBodyRange

The Sheet this particular Table sits on has some data both above and below the Table as it relates to notes, and reference information. Right now I'm just using a test Sheet. I want to avoid any unwanted changes to column headings, Total Row data changes and other information in the same column and outside the Table. This will also accommodate any Table Column arrangements I may make in the future as data gets moved around.

My formula currently only checks to see if the first character is a lowercase letter or not. I found a suitable VBA replacement that works for me considering the data will either be all lowercase (lacountylibrary) , or Proper case (GlendaleLAC) for example.

VBA Code:
If Subdomain = LCase(Subdomain) Then 'Test if lowercase

Here's what I've got so far that works across two different columns, recycling some code:
VBA Code:

Dim Scheme As String, Subdomain As String
    Scheme = "https://ebook.yourcloudlibrary.com/library/"

If Target.Cells.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub 'if more than one cell is changed, exit sub

If Target.row > 1 Then 'If changes below first row

'Digital Library Column
        If Target.Column = 2 Then 'if Column B changes
            Subdomain = Target.Value

'Validate Selection
                If Len(Subdomain) > 0 Then Target.Hyperlinks.Add Target, "https://" & Target.Value & ".overdrive.com", , , Target.Value
            Else
                If Len(Subdomain) > 0 Then Target.Hyperlinks.Add Target, Scheme & Target.Value, , , Target.Value
            End If 'Validate Selection
        End If 'If Column B changes

'clouLibrary Column
        If Target.Column = 4 Then 'if Column D changes
            Subdomain = Target.Value

'Validate Selection
            If Subdomain = LCase(Subdomain) Then
                If Len(Subdomain) > 0 Then MsgBox Subdomain & " is not a valid cloudLibrary selection."
                ActiveCell.ClearContents
            Else
                If Len(Subdomain) > 0 Then Target.Hyperlinks.Add Target, Scheme & Target.Value, , , Target.Value
        End If 'If Column D changes

End If 'If changes below first row

End Sub

Thanks again for any additional help you can provide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
UPDATE:
I was able to change the ranges from using the entire column(s) to just the Table Column ranges (ListObject) using the Column Header names using this post here:

Changed... FROM:
VBA Code:
If Target.Column = 2 Then 'if Column B changes
If Target.Column = 4 Then 'if Column D changes
TO...
VBA Code:
If Not Intersect(Target, ActiveSheet.ListObjects(1).ListColumns("Digital Library").Range) Is Nothing Then 'if Digital Library column changes
If Not Intersect(Target, ActiveSheet.ListObjects(1).ListColumns("cloudLibrary").Range) Is Nothing Then 'if cloudLibrary column changes
This allowed me to still add data above and below the table, as well as move the columns within the table without breaking the code.

However, I'm still looking for a way to solve the following issues:
  • Entering an invalid value in the cloudLibrary column, hitting the Enter key, and it clearing the contents of the cell below the changed cell.
  • Adding new table rows when pasting multiple values directly below the table that automatically expands the table.... but doesn't run the code on those new cells for the given columns.
I think I'll consider this thread resolved, and post a new question for the others...

Thanks again for your help with getting this far. So far, it's working great!

Updated working code:

VBA Code:

If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub

Dim Scheme As String, Subdomain As String
    Scheme = "https://ebook.yourcloudlibrary.com/library/"

If Not Intersect(Target, ActiveSheet.ListObjects(1).ListColumns("Digital Library").Range) Is Nothing Then 'if Digital Library column changes
        Subdomain = Target.Value

'Validate Selection
            If Len(Subdomain) > 0 Then Target.Hyperlinks.Add Target, "https://" & Target.Value & ".overdrive.com", , , Target.Value
        Else

End If 'Digital Library

If Not Intersect(Target, ActiveSheet.ListObjects(1).ListColumns("cloudLibrary").Range) Is Nothing Then 'if cloudLibrary column changes
        Subdomain = Target.Value

'Validate Selection
        If Subdomain = LCase(Subdomain) Then
            If Len(Subdomain) > 0 Then MsgBox Subdomain & " is not a valid cloudLibrary selection."
            ActiveCell.ClearContents
        Else

End If 'cloudLibrary

End Sub

Upvote 0
Entering an invalid value in the cloudLibrary column, hitting the Enter key, and it clearing the contents of the cell below the changed cell.
OK , so it looks like I was able to temporarily address this issue by squeezing in the 2nd line below to offset the row by -1:
VBA Code:
ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Activate 'if invalid entry, go up 1 row
ActiveCell.ClearContents
I still need to figure out a better way though, because this will be an issue if I copy/paste the value where the Enter key is not used...

Upvote 0
I still need to figure out a better way though, because this will be an issue if I copy/paste the value where the Enter key is not used...
This works for both entry methods.
It first checks if the active cell contains the entered value (Subdomain) and will go up one row if it doesn't match, then clear the contents.
If it matches, it will not offset and just clear the contents...
VBA Code:
     If ActiveCell.Value <> Subdomain Then ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Activate
ActiveCell.ClearContents
Note: my variable Subdomain = Target.Value

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back