Email: Reply To Address from Excel VBA

UKSteveH

I am currently trying to automate a receipt system. I have successfully managed to create an email based on calculated Excel data. The email is created using the following routine.

callref="12345"
strbody = "The main text of the email"

Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
OutApp.Session.Logon
Set OutMail = OutApp.CreateItem(0)

On Error Resume Next
With OutMail
.To = "John Smith"
.BCC = ""
.Subject = "Test email receipt - " & callref
.Body = strbody
.Display 'or .Send - still developing!!!
End With
On Error GoTo 0

Set OutMail = Nothing
Set OutApp = Nothing

My problem is that there will be several people using this system so I would like to include a reply address which is different from the sender. Alternatively, I would like to send the email from a different account (but I have to assume that the users will have their own email accounts open).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Thanks for that.

The CDO method is probably not an option as it requires an SMTP server, (which I could find), but there is then a danger that the Exchange Server here (or more likely the anti-spam software) would block the emails.

Ron's examples are indeed excellent, but I cannot find any reference to a reply to field - I have already tried guessing .Reply .ReplyTo. I have tried the .Display method and then manually added a reply to address in the created email (and that works). My logic therefore suggests that there should be a simple solution to this this. But I cannot find it....

Unless you can think of anything else I will have a look on some Outlook forums to see if there is any clues there.

Upvote 0
I don't know which Office suite you're running but see Ron's link re: XL/OL2007: http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/account.htm

I have to say I would/have nearly always opted CDO myself... partly for this reason (ie using web apps to generate mail etc...)

(P.S. I didn't notice you were in Ipswich before... I'm about 8 miles outside the town limits ;))

Upvote 0
I updated my location when I logged in. I work by the football ground, but live in Kesgrave.

I am again looking at the CDO method using an SMTP program on the local machine (don't know yet if this will work!). This would solve many problems.

Steve

Upvote 0
If your users have the correct delegate permissions to the account, you can use the Sentonbehalfofname to send from another account. Otherwise I believe you want the ReplyRecipients collection.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rory, I wasn't aware of that property.

Do you use Redemption ? I've never really been able to get my head around it and have always opted for CDO approach, just curious.

Upvote 0
I have done occasionally, though not for a while. It's certainly a lot easier to work with than Extended MAPI!! :)

Upvote 0
I cannot find any useful information about ReplyRecipients collection, and would I be able to use this inside the Excel VBA as the only info I found suggested that Outlook would block it.

Upvote 0
When you say block it you mean the Security Prompt ?

You would get the Security alert with any VBA which tried to generate mail through OL unless you used Redemption and/or 3rd Party Tool like ClickYes ... this is why most would opt for CDO.

(I think the Security came in with 2003 SP2 but I can't recall exactly, Rory (aka The Oracle) will know ;))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iaincmac

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back