Enter Key function is Excel for Mac 2011

Tourer

In my old version of Excel for Mac, the enter and tab keys had the same function with the return key having a separate function.

This was extremely useful for entering data into a protected spreadsheet. Each time the enter key was pressed the active cell would move to the next cell SKIPPING the locked cells. I.e. you could press number, enter, number, enter, number, enter, etc etc safe in the knowledge that each time you pressed Enter the active cell would simply skip over the locked cells (with formulas etc) and stop at the next cell waiting for the number/data (whatever) to be entered.

In the new version only the tab key will do this with the enter key now being paired with the return key which cannot perform the old function.

This - in my opinion - is a huge backward step for Excel.

Has anyone else experienced this drawback and does anyone have a solution?

If not I believe Microsoft should quickly revert to the old way or at least make the functions of these keys a user selectable option

Malcolm
MacBook Pro
Core2Duo
4 MB Ram
250GB drive

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
On my MacBook Pro the Enter and Return Key is the same key, so in MS Excel 2011 for Mac when I press the Enter/Return key the cell jumps down to the next unlocked cell, where the Tab key jump to the right to the next unlocked cell.
MackBook Pro (Early 2011)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
500 GB Drive
10.7 (Lion)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hi - thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

I should have mentioned that I'm using an external (full) keyboard (since the laptop keyboard does not have a "proper" numeric key pad).

Also, I presume in Excel preferences you have selected what to do after the return key is pressed. I selected "No Move". Although having checked it out and selected Move Down after pressing the return key, repeatedly pressing the return key on a protected spreadsheet with locked cells the active cell still moves through the locked cell - it doesn't skip it.

There is one other thing which might explain the change - which is in laptops the return and enter keys are physically the same. Not so on an extended keyboard. Return and enter keys are separate. The return key is in the same physical location as on the laptop keyboard but the enter key is at the bottom right of the numeric section. This probably explains - but in my view does not excuse - the combining of the Return and Enter keys into the same function leaving the tab key to do what the enter key used to do!

It would still be nice if this was user selectable

Upvote 0
Ok I see what you mean I tried my external keyboard and as you said it moves through the locked cell's, on the REVIEW tab under PROTECTION click on SHEET, when the PROTECT THE SHEET AND CONTENTS OF LOCKED CELLS dialog box appears uncheck SELECT LOCKED CELLS, by unchecking that option the Enter key as well as the Return key on the external keyboard jumps over the locked cells and not through them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Well, they kept that hidden! Thanks for the tip. I did that - and it got me half way there. Let me explain.

In Excel preferences I had unchecked the box in the Edit menu which asked if wanted to move the selection after hitting return. What I didn't realise is that I had left the (dimmed) box with Down selected. After this, doing what you suggested simply had the cursor moving down albeit skipping over the locked cells - but only downwards.

Solution? Go back into Preferences/Edit - Check the box "After pressing Return move selection..." Choose "right" from the drop down menu. Then Deselect the check box for "After pressing Return move selection" so that you leave Right in the choice box (albeit now dimmed!)

This way on a protected spreadsheet the active cell moves across and down like I prefer and on an unprotected spreadsheet hitting the Return/Enter key simply doesn't move the selection.

This may of course not be to everyone's liking - but it is a eminently suitable work around for me. So, thanks for the tip. With that and a bit of playing around I think I have cracked it.

Good 'ole Microsoft!

No doubt I'll find some other gotchas!

M

Upvote 0
Glad I could help somewhat. I just made the swap to Mac in May so MS Office 2011 for Mac has been a little bit of a learning experience as well as the Mac computer its self.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back