Estimate Linear Formula from Multiple Coordinate Pairs

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Believe it or not, I have been using Excel for years, and have never had to do this.

I have 32 pairs of coordinates (X,Y). If I graph them using a scatter chart in Excel, I can see that it looks like they suggest a linear relationship between the points.

Other than printing the chart and trying to draw a "best fit" line manually, is there some sort of way I can get Excel to come up with the "best" linear formula (y=mx+b format)?

Thanks.

Looked at the help file? It contains several good examples.
That is really odd... I looked. I am a big proponent of the Excel help files (see my item #1 in my signature)

When I searched Excel help for the LINEST function on my home computer last night, it could not find it. However, I just tried searching here on my work computer and found it with no problems. :oops:

Either something's up with my home computer, or I am losing my mind! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Actually, we had a useful disussion about LINEST, line fitting and related topics a few months back:

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=248921&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

This included how to use LINEST, the order in which its coefficients appear, discrepancies between Excel's LINEST procedure and the lines fitted by the Excel scatter chart, an alternative method of using LINEST (a "manual" one, whereby can see just what is happening - just a straighforward formula), what are and what are not straight lines in this context, other problems, and etc.

Upvote 0
If anyone is interested in a discussion on LINEST, trendlines, and any number of issues with the two, check the Google archives of the Excel newsgroups for posts on the subject by Jerry Lewis, Harlan Grove, David Braden, and some others.
Actually, we had a useful disussion about LINEST, line fitting and related topics a few months back:

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=248921&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

This included how to use LINEST, the order in which its coefficients appear, discrepancies between Excel's LINEST procedure and the lines fitted by the Excel scatter chart, an alternative method of using LINEST (a "manual" one, whereby can see just what is happening - just a straighforward formula), what are and what are not straight lines in this context, other problems, and etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back