Evenly Distribute Cell Contents

jbodel

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So we have to verify work that is placed into 15 different folders. the contents of the folders is irrelevant. We have four team members. What I am hoping to do is write a formula or some sort of calculation that can help figure this out automatically. So currently I review these numbers and add up all the contents in the Content Column (154) and then divide that by four team members and come up with an average of 38.5. So then I figure out manually that the first team member will have to verify folder A and B. Team member 2 will have to verify FOlder C, etc. Is there a formula or something that I could write that would do this faster or easier without manual intervention?

The actual data is much larger and there are more folders and team members. below is just an example.

This forum has been so helpful that I come back often and appreciate everyone's input and help. Thank you in advance.
Folder NameContent
A12
B25
C32
D8
E32
F45

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
What if folder contains more than average, like F?

Upvote 0
That's not ideal but in some way solve Your problem:
Book1
ABC
1FolderfilesTeam member
2A61
3B192
4C93
5D114
6E115
7F46
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B7B2=RANDBETWEEN(1,20)
C3:C7C3=LET(Xaverg,SUM($B$2:$B$7)/4,oldCount,SUM($B$2:B3),newCount,SUM($B2:B3),Xcount,IF(C2=C1,oldCount,newCount),IF(Xcount>Xaverg,C2+1,C2))

There is a few issue as in my previous post or fact that it won't be equaly for all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmmm. That's interesting.
What if we change it for (SUM divide by 3 not 4):

Excel Formula:
=LET(Xaverg,SUM($B$2:$B$7)/3,oldCount,SUM($B$2:B3),newCount,SUM($B2:B3),Xcount,IF(C2=C1,oldCount,newCount),IF(Xcount>Xaverg,C2+1,C2))

Upvote 0
Sorry been away for a bit. To answer your first question, there will always been some folders that contain more than the average while others contain less. I know how to figure out the sum and average, but in your second response, team member one would only need to verify six files while team member 2 has to verify 19. What I am hoping/looking for (hopefully it is possible) is (in your example) Team member one would verify the B folder (that contains 19) files, while team member 2 would verify folders C and D. I know the numbers are not going to be perfect, but as long as all team members had relatively the same amount of files to verify? Does that make sense or help?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back