Exceeding maximum files open at once

tastoot

It seems I’ve reached the limitations of Excel as it no longer works the way I require.

Basically I have a single controlling spreadsheet which controls many other spreadsheets. As I manipulated numbers in the controlling spreadsheet it modifies all the other spreadsheets and I get the results of the changes via a few graphs and tables. I basically tune the numbers to get a desired result on the graph.

The problem is in order for this to work I have to have all spreadsheets open at once. It worked up to about 100 or so spreadsheets but now I’m up to 500 spreadsheets therefore I can no longer refine the model without doing it in blocks of 100 at a time.

I’m wondering whether there is an alternative software that would either be able to handle more spreadsheets being open at once (or perhaps they can interact without being open), or whether I need to look at converting my spreadsheets into another format.

I also tried converting multiple spreadsheets into one single file but it seems that the limitations are due to the complexity of the spreadsheets and not the number of spreadsheets that I have open.

Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
I suspect the issue is not an excel software issue but a hardware issue. RAM. More is necessary

Upvote 0
I suspect the issue is not an excel software issue but a hardware issue. RAM. More is necessary

Hmm... interesting as from the research I've done it is an Excel issue which won't be fixed by extra RAM. I think even if I got it working again for hundreds of files open at once, at some point I'll encounter the same issue down the track once I reach thousands of files.

The ability to manipulate the controlling sheet to get live feedback from the entire sample set is really critical to what I'm doing. The more data in the system the better it will work. Unfortunately I'm only able to assess 100 data samples at a time which is making it impossible to optimize the results.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hermansoa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back