Excel 2003 - Separating Text in brackets

Silver Fox

Hi,

Apols - I'm struggling with this!

I've got one column containing data and which I would like to separate into two columns.
The data looks like this:-
017A - Sitting/Rest Room (Sitting Room 10sq m (SF) inc TV)
What I'm looking for is a way of saying wherever you see the first open bracket and the last closed bracket, place that text into the adjacent (right hand) column.

Thanks for your help - best wishes

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN

ukmikeb

Hi

Try -
Code:
=MID($A41,FIND("(",$A41)+1,FIND("#",SUBSTITUTE($A41,")","#",LEN($A41)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE($A41,")",""))))-(FIND("(",$A41)+1))

Changing A41 to your cell.

Formula caters for characters present after last right-hand bracket.

hth

Silver Fox

Thanks - it worked perfectly - unfortunately due to more haste, less speed on my behalf I had given some duff info.
What I wanted was to find the data (text) and cut and paste it into the next column on the right.
Many apologies

ukmikeb

Hi

Place the original formula in column C.

Place the following formula in column B -

Code:
 =SUBSTITUTE($A41,"("&$C41&")","")

obviously changing the cell references (NB it also removes first and last brackets).

Then when you have completed do a Copy and Paste Special - Paste Values only - for columns B and C .

And finally, delete Column A.

hth

Silver Fox

ADVERTISEMENT

Mike,

Very many thanks for your help on this,
Best regards,

Sunny

Mike

Just had (what would have been) a mammoth task - but thanks to your help it hasn't taken a 10th of the time.
Once again, many thanks,

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Sounds like the task is long ago done but if the original text always ends with ")" (I'm not sure it does as we only have 1 example to go on) then this would be simpler to get the value in C41:

=REPLACE(LEFT(A41,LEN(A41)-1),1,FIND("(",A41),"")

ukmikeb

Sunny

Pleased to have helped you save a lot of time on your project.

Pleased to also see that some users are using the Search facility to arrive at solutions to their problems.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KT50

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...