Extracting text between multiple sets of markers and displaying on separate lines

miless2111s

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a formula (in MS Project, pulled into Excel) which has field names shown in the format [text1], each formula will have 1 or more of these fields called into it. For instance:
IIf(([Text19]="Dep" Or [Text19]="Del"),[Text28],[Text27])

I would like to be able to
1) Pull out all the items between the square brackets, once per field; for instance; Text19, Text28, Text27
2) Ideally list the fields on separate rows:
text19
text28
text27
3) Ideally, compare these with another list (MS2Cust) to see if they are custom fields and ignore them if not (so for instance [name] or [duration] would not be listed. This isn't as important as the first or 2nd requirements :)

I have found various entries on this forum which allow me to extract the data, for instance:
=CONCAT(SUBSTITUTE(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"]","["),"[",REPT("[",1000)),SEQUENCE(LEN(A2),,,2)*1000,1000),"[","")) will give me text19text29text27 which isn't ideal as it is hard to spot when the fields start and end.

The amazing formula below (which I am still trying to understand so that I can replace the (xxx) delimiter with [xxx]) gives something very close
=TEXTJOIN(", ",TRUE,INDEX(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A8," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A8))),(ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A8)))-ROW(A8))*LEN(A8)+1,LEN(A8))),AGGREGATE(15,6,1/(1/(IFERROR(IF(CODE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A8," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A8))),(ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A8)))-ROW(A8))*LEN(A8)+1,LEN(A8))))=40,1,FALSE)*ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A8))),""))),ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&SUM(IFERROR(IF(CODE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A8," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A8))),(ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A8)))-ROW(A8))*LEN(A8)+1,LEN(A8))))=40,1,FALSE),0)))))))

I am using 365 so have access to unique and textjoin etc.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
You asked for a formula that would give the results on separate rows, which my formula does. So why are you now using textjoin?
Because I realised that I left out a requirement - that I can apply this result to multiple rows - that was my error; you met the brief, and I learned some new stuff so thank you :)

I have found a way to do it using VBA, as this involved an AI bot as well as lots of searching last night I assume I can't post the resultant code but it does work. Your method however is elegant and works for the use case I originally stated.

Upvote 0
Glad you sorted it & thanks for letting us know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back