Extracting text between multiple sets of markers and displaying on separate lines

miless2111s

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a formula (in MS Project, pulled into Excel) which has field names shown in the format [text1], each formula will have 1 or more of these fields called into it. For instance:
IIf(([Text19]="Dep" Or [Text19]="Del"),[Text28],[Text27])

I would like to be able to
1) Pull out all the items between the square brackets, once per field; for instance; Text19, Text28, Text27
2) Ideally list the fields on separate rows:
text19
text28
text27
3) Ideally, compare these with another list (MS2Cust) to see if they are custom fields and ignore them if not (so for instance [name] or [duration] would not be listed. This isn't as important as the first or 2nd requirements :)

I have found various entries on this forum which allow me to extract the data, for instance:
=CONCAT(SUBSTITUTE(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"]","["),"[",REPT("[",1000)),SEQUENCE(LEN(A2),,,2)*1000,1000),"[","")) will give me text19text29text27 which isn't ideal as it is hard to spot when the fields start and end.

The amazing formula below (which I am still trying to understand so that I can replace the (xxx) delimiter with [xxx]) gives something very close
=TEXTJOIN(", ",TRUE,INDEX(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A8," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A8))),(ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A8)))-ROW(A8))*LEN(A8)+1,LEN(A8))),AGGREGATE(15,6,1/(1/(IFERROR(IF(CODE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A8," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A8))),(ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A8)))-ROW(A8))*LEN(A8)+1,LEN(A8))))=40,1,FALSE)*ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A8))),""))),ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&SUM(IFERROR(IF(CODE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A8," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A8))),(ROW(INDIRECT("A1:A"&LEN(A8)))-ROW(A8))*LEN(A8)+1,LEN(A8))))=40,1,FALSE),0)))))))

I am using 365 so have access to unique and textjoin etc.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I am using 365

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=LET(a,TEXTSPLIT(A2,,"["),UNIQUE(TEXTBEFORE(FILTER(a,ISNUMBER(SEARCH("]",a))),"]")))

Upvote 0
Solution
If you provide some sample data using XL2BB, then we can provide solutions that are specific to your requirements.

Upvote 0
=LET(a,TEXTSPLIT(A2,,"["),UNIQUE(TEXTBEFORE(FILTER(a,ISNUMBER(SEARCH("]",a))),"]")))
Hi, I will update my profile as you suggest. Using the formula generates a #CALC! entry in the cell

Upvote 0
That suggests that you don't have [ or ] in A2. so can you post some sample data.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
That suggests that you don't have [ or ] in A2. so can you post some sample data.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.
My apologies, I didn't spot that it was looking at A2 - I have changed this to A1 and it works with a spill. Very cool. Thank you for the pointer to the XL"BB. The issue comes when I have a list of these items. As I suspect I will need VBA to add additional lines I can modify the supplied formula to
=LET(a,TEXTSPLIT(A1,,"["),TEXTJOIN(",",TRUE,UNIQUE(TEXTBEFORE(FILTER(a,ISNUMBER(SEARCH("]",a))),"]"))))
which will give me a list separated by commas.
Very cool technique.
Is textbefore the same as left or does it have some additional power in this situation?

Upvote 0
You asked for a formula that would give the results on separate rows, which my formula does. So why are you now using textjoin?

Upvote 0
Another option:

Book1
ABC
1Not uniqueUnique
2IIf(([Text19]="Dep" Or [Text19]="Del"),[Text28],[Text27])Text19Text19
3Text19Text28
4Text28Text27
5Text27
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B5B2=LET( a,TEXTSPLIT(A2,"["), b,TEXTSPLIT(a,"]"), TRANSPOSE(DROP(b,,1)) )
C2:C4C2=LET( a,TEXTSPLIT(A2,"["), b,TEXTSPLIT(a,"]"), UNIQUE(TRANSPOSE(DROP(b,,1))) )
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
You can shorten that like
Excel Formula:
=LET(a,TEXTSPLIT(A2,,"["),b,TEXTSPLIT(a,,"]"),DROP(b,1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back