Excel 2003; Speeding up; 3MB

network_engineer

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help in the past week. My excel is nearly completed; however, even without the data, the size is about 3MB, and I guess it is all the formulae.

Question: Whenever I enter data, it starts to re-calculate the whole thing, is there any way that it would ONLY do the calculations later? E.g. design a click-button or something which when pressed would update the data?

Could somebody please help me with this?

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,
Ben

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
You can turn automatic calculation off by changing the "Calculation Options" under the "Formulas" menu to "Manual". This then requires you to manually chose to calculate formulas using the buttons on the same menu or via the "Calculate" button in the bottom left corner of the window.

Is that what you mean?

Upvote 0
If you set the calculation mode to manual as JD_GFI described, the F9 key on the keyboard will also initiate a recalculate.

You can set the option for manual calculation under the menu...
Tools\ Options\ Calculation tab

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi all,

Thanks; I am also going to be handing this spreadsheet out to some really basic people: Is there any way somebody would help me create a button e.g. "Update" that the data entry operator could press?

If somebody would kindly guide me, that would be the best! Would really appreciate it.

PS: Is it so that the auto-calculation disabling is made to the workbook? Or is it to the local excel on system? If it is local, is there some way to disable it for the workbook? Reason is that it does re-calculating every time and then it becomes a problem for the operator to wait 30 seconds every time a value is changed.

Kind regards,
Ben

Upvote 0
If you create a button on the page and insert the following code as the macro to be run on button press it should recalculate the sheet:

Code:
Sub Button1_Click()

Calculate

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll check those out.

Would somebody also know the answer to my question?

Is it so that the auto-calculation disabling is made to the workbook? Or is it to the local excel on system? If it is local, is there some way to disable it for the workbook?

Kind regards,
Ben

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Embarrassed now; but I have looked all over the menu, and cannot find the option to draw a button. Any ideas please?

Kind regards,
Ben

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k_bs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back