Excel 2010, INDEX MATCH only returns first value instead of all matching values in selected column

otivo

Excel 2010:
I’m working with a sheet where I would like to get accurate results on the make and model of cars sold in a given week. The workbook contains several worksheets each representing weekly sales numbers for different vehicles.

The Make-Models tab has the lists used to create the drop-down selections.

The Sales tab allows one to create an ad hoc report on the total number of vehicles sold, by Make and Model. Cell B2 is named 'SelectedModel' and used in the formula found in column E, Total Sold.

Problem:
When I select Honda, for example in B2 of the Sales worksheet then select Accord in cell B3 of the same. The results returned in E2, E3 and E4 are 2, 3 and 4, respectively, instead of 8, 3 and 7.

2 Honda Accords were sold on Monday and 6 on Tuesday of the same week. My formula is only returning the first matched value of 2 whereas I would like it to return 2+6, 8 for week 1. Same goes for other weeks.

Select any other make and model and notice the problem follows. I believe the error is due to incorrect usage of the formula or incorrect formula altogether.

IF(ISNA(INDEX(Week1!E:E,MATCH(SelectedModel,Week1!B:B,0))),0,INDEX(Week1!E:E,MATCH(SelectedModel,Week1!B:B,0)))

Kindly review and assist with information to address the issue described.

Note: I am unable/unauthorized to post attachments. If you need me to, please let me know how I can submit the file for you to review.

Thanks!!

Mzee

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Thanks for your response. I looked at the post you referred me to and attempted several formulas but still couldn't get the results I'm looking for. Since I can not attach a file, I'm pasting the dataset below for ease of reference:

Week1 Tab:
-----------
Monday
MakeModelAMPMTotal
DodgeCaravan41115
FordContour055
HondaFit1910
HondaCivic235
ToyotaCorolla51116
HondaAccord112
Tuesday
MakeModel
DodgeCharger448
HondaAccord336
HondaCivic358
FordF-150156
HondaPilot516
Select One0
Wednesday
MakeModel
ToyotaAvalon123
FordEscape538
DodgeDurango055
HondaPilot448
ToyotaCamry235
DodgeDakota257

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sales Tab
-----------
Sales ReportTotal Sold
Make:HondaWeek12
Model:AccordWeek23
Week34

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Week1 should have returned 8 sold on Mon and Tue.

Any additional assistance is most appreciated.

Upvote 0
No, that's where the problem lies... I expected the Sales tab to return 8 Honda Accords for Week 1 due to the following activity:

Monday
Make Model AM PM Total
Honda Accord 1 1 2

Tuesday
Honda Accord 3 3 6
------

Therefore, the Sales tab should show 8, not 2 for Week1. Current formular {IF(ISNA(INDEX(Week1!E:E,MATCH(SelectedModel,Week1!B:B,0))),0,INDEX(Week1!E:E,MATCH(SelectedModel,Week1!B:B,0)))} is only returning the first match of 2, not adding the 6 in the same week)

I can send you the worksheet if you like for a closer review.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
May I suggest that you consider the following layout for the weekly sheets... Below Week1 with Mon and Tue...

Week Day
Make
Model
AM
PM
Total
Mon
Dodge
Caravan
Mon
Ford
Contour
Mon
Honda
Fit
Mon
Honda
Civic
Mon
Toyota
Corolla
Mon
Honda
Accord
Tue
Dodge
Charger
Tue
Honda
Accord
Tue
Honda
Civic
Tue
Ford
F-150
Tue
Honda
Pilot

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

On the Sales sheet you can have...

Sales report
Total Sold
Make:
Honda
Week1
Make:
Honda
Week2

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

By the way, why is Total Sold for Honda in Week1 8?

Upvote 0
I will try the suggested format and see if does the trick - though I'm not sure my formula will now be able to include values beyond the first match found - that's the issue I'm having. I'll give it a shot nevertheless and report back.

The Total Sold in Week1 for Honda ACCORD is 8 because 2 were sold on Mon (1 in AM, 1 in PM), 6 (3 in AM, 3 in PM) on Tue, 0 on Wed... Thur and Fri not shown. Note that total is for the Accord model only, not all Hondas, and only on Week1.

Upvote 0
I will try the suggested format and see if does the trick - though I'm not sure my formula will now be able to include values beyond the first match found - that's the issue I'm having. I'll give it a shot nevertheless and report back.

The Total Sold in Week1 for Honda ACCORD is 8 because 2 were sold on Mon (1 in AM, 1 in PM), 6 (3 in AM, 3 in PM) on Tue, 0 on Wed... Thur and Fri not shown. Note that total is for the Accord model only, not all Hondas, and only on Week1.

The Sales sheet...

Sales report
Make:
Model:
Week:
Total Sold
Honda
Accord
Week1

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

D3:

=SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&C3&"'!F:F"),INDIRECT("'"&C3&"'!B:B"),A3,INDIRECT("'"&C3&"'!C:C"),B3)

See for Week1, the Week1 sheet, proposed earlier.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I attempted changing the format and using the suggested formula but I couldn't get it to work I may have been doing something wrong as my references were off. Anyway, I've uploaded the original file using the link below (not password protected) so you should be able to see what I had and if you can still assist.

http://tbf.me/a/B0wUDR

Thanks again for your help!

Mzee

Upvote 0
Hello,

I attempted changing the format and using the suggested formula but I couldn't get it to work I may have been doing something wrong as my references were off. Anyway, I've uploaded the original file using the link below (not password protected) so you should be able to see what I had and if you can still assist.

http://tbf.me/a/B0wUDR

Thanks again for your help!

Mzee

Here is the workbook that implements the proposals of post #6 and #8:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65698317/otivo%20WeekBasedConditionalSummaries.xlsx

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davinroach

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back