excel 365, two cells, same value, different number format.

Jagadeshrao

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
i have two cells, which should contain same value but one in text format another in fraction format. Only then excel sheet works, otherwise part of the excel sheet doesn't work. I want only one cell to be drop down in among those two. Please help

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Would you be helpful and post samples and expectations? The may people in the forum need to recreate your scenario to work on your question.
Mr. Excel has a tool called xl2bb that allows you to post mini workbooks of your data and formulas. If you cannot use that then please paste your date in a table.
In either case be sure to sanitize your data for privacy concerns.

Thanks in Advance, and welcome to the forum.

Best Wishes!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Two cells, same value, only one drop down, different number format
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Would you be helpful and post samples and expectations? The may people in the forum need to recreate your scenario to work on your question.
Mr. Excel has a tool called xl2bb that allows you to post mini workbooks of your data and formulas. If you cannot use that then please paste your date in a table.
In either case be sure to sanitize your data for privacy concerns.

Thanks in Advance, and welcome to the forum.

Best Wishes!
in the above link, there is a file, in 'Formulas from handbook' sheet, the cells M1 and Q1 need to be in different number format, but same exact value everytime we select from drop-down menu, using macro or vba or just excel formulas, how can i use only one drop-down menu to control both the cells? hope you understand. Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I am not sure what the purpose of a drop is for cell formatting. Drop downs are used for inputting values with data validation.
Additionally, you have very strangely merged cells so a formula copy down or conditional formatting copy is not going to work or nearly impossible.
And when I unmerged column Q, the records that were there went into column P. I do not want to attempt what your asking. But, the only thing I can say is you can't "number format" text, so if you convert $L$3 into text that is all you have. You can use conditional formatting on column Q(if that is really what it is) by having a formula that says "If this cell is a number" then format it as fractions (you need to choose if quarters, eigths etc.).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back