Excel and Protected View/Read-Only View/Protect Sheets

sdw50

Hi there,

I have a rather large workbook which I sell licensed access to. I have a licensee who has purchased access for four users but wants the functionality for additional admin staff to be able to open the workbook for printing purposes in the event licensed users are not available.

I have a userform which prompts the person opening the model to select whether they are one of the four licensed users or not. For the former, the model opens as expected (full read/write access), for the later I need to design/build in vba some restrictions from changing values, but not restrict macro use (for print views, etc).

I have found SettAtr code to open in read-only view, but this event doesn't seem to work properly on-open. I have also read a lot about the protected view in Excel 2010 and I think this might work, but I am not sure how to enable Protected View on open. Finally, I have also considered individually protecting each sheet on open from unlicensed users but this is onerous from a calculation perspective.

I want to know if anyone has had a similar problem in the past, how it was resolved or any top tips in general which I could apply to this situation.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back