Excel Borders

ralph76

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I recently upgrade my home laptop. I'm running Windows 11 and Microsoft Excel 365.

My question pertains to Format Cells > Borders. When I format a spreadsheet with Borders, most of the cell borders print, but several cells don't print. Plus, if I make no changes to the spreadsheet, but print it again, the cells now that don't print with borders are different than the cells that didn't print the borders previously. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hey,

As per my knowledge,
Basically excel open ups with Gridlines by default. when we are required to get the gridlines print we have to go to the Page layout tab. There you can see option Gridline View and Print option you just have to tick on the print option but it will only print the range which has some value in it or we can say filled cells. if you want to print empty cell then you can select the range you want to print and then go to print or press Cltr + P and then go to print selection and select to print the Selected range the you will be able to print Gridlines too..

If you are struggling with cell borders the my suggestion is when you are done with all your formatting remove the default tick on gridlines in page layout tab then check aal the borders are set or not.

Upvote 0
Hey,

As per my knowledge,
Basically excel open ups with Gridlines by default. when we are required to get the gridlines print we have to go to the Page layout tab. There you can see option Gridline View and Print option you just have to tick on the print option but it will only print the range which has some value in it or we can say filled cells. if you want to print empty cell then you can select the range you want to print and then go to print or press Cltr + P and then go to print selection and select to print the Selected range the you will be able to print Gridlines too..

If you are struggling with cell borders the my suggestion is when you are done with all your formatting remove the default tick on gridlines in page layout tab then check aal the borders are set

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what the Gridlines have to do with the Borders problem.

Again, my issue is that when I create a spreadsheet with cell borders, the borders all appear correctly in Print Preview mode. But, when I print the spreadsheet, not all of the cell borders print.

Upvote 0
maybe it is your printer or windows and not excel.
Make a pdf of your worksheet with print borders on.

If you see the borders in the pdf on screen then the problem is probably not excel.
Then try to print the pdf to you printer. Then see what happens.

I do not know how to troubleshoot any further than that.

Upvote 0
maybe it is your printer or windows and not excel.
Make a pdf of your worksheet with print borders on.

If you see the borders in the pdf on screen then the problem is probably not excel.
Then try to print the pdf to you printer. Then see what happens.

I do not know how to troubleshoot any further than that.
Great suggestion, awoohaw. I made a PDF of the spreadsheet and after doing so, all of the border formatting was visible and in the correct locations. After I printed the PDF, it was worse than printing the Excel version. More than 75% of the borders were missing.

You must be right. It's not an Excel issue, but my printer issue. Thanks very much!

Upvote 0
you're welcome, but I sympathize that the problem persists.

Best Wishes.

Upvote 0
i just had a thought
Maybe the printer settings can't pick up the fine lines.
Try making thicker borders. And also printing in Black and White.

Upvote 0
Again, you are correct, I had been using the lightest border setting (the one that looks like a series of dots), so when I switched to the thinnest solid border, it worked. Unfortunately, I really like the look of the lightest border better than the thinnest line, and I still question why the lightest border setting works for 99% of the cells, but for the other 1% it doesn't. Must be something with my printer, although I will say that this has only happened using Windows 11. Prior to that Windows version, I never encountered this issue.

Again, awoohaw, many thanks.

Upvote 0
Awoohaw,

For the heck of it, I just Googled my Excel border printing issue (as it related specifically to a Brother printer) and one of the possible corrective measures was to ensure that my printer was selected as the Default Printer. Unbelievably, once I did that, the finest dot borders now works 100%!

I think I know what happened. About 3 weeks ago I was pushed a Microsoft OS update, and as soon as I invoked the update, my computer crashed. (Thanks, Microsoft! :mad:)
I sent it to Dell who checked out the entire system and then installed a new Solid State Drive, which was unreadable. When I received it back from Dell, I began printing various documents successfully. Maybe I was successful in printing lightly formatted spreadsheets because my laptop was able automatically acquired my printer, even though I never designate it as my DEFAULT printer. Maybe I'm making the solution fit the situation, but all I know is that after designating my printer as the default printer, everything is working perfectly. Thought you might like to know. Thanks again for your time and suggestions!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back