New Workbook has white borders as default

SherdP

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Every time I open a new workbook, the default setting for borders is set to white instead of grey. I have to go into advanced settings every time and change it to grey to be able to see the cells. I have tried to uninstall and re-install several times with no luck. I have even contacted MS support with no luck. I have emailed them several times, also with no response. I have uploaded pics of the new workbook and the settings showing it defaulted to white. I am running microsoft 365, win 11 pro, 23H2, build 22631.3155. I have updated windows and microsoft 365.
Excel is version 2402 build 16.0.17328.20108 (should be current, just updated) the update did not fix the issue.
Any help would be great as MS is not helpful.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-26 172511.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-26 172511.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2024-02-26 172753.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-26 172753.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 15

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
On the first screenshot it looks like your "Show Gridlines" is colored white.
click and Change that "paint tin" to your rrequired colour

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responce. I have to change it on every workbook I open. It used to open a new workbook with the color set as grey as default. Used to be able to see the gridlines as soon as a new book is open. If I go to advanced settings without opening a workbook it won't let me change it. I have even looked at the xlstart folder. Nothing is there as a template. Have no idea why its doing this. I upgraded my pc last year with new ASUS MB, processor (i7), 32 GB corsair ram, GPU, power supply. Pretty much everything. All nvme drives, and it has always done this. Would there be a win 11 setting adjusting this?

Upvote 0
I'd suggest opening a new workbook and then change the settings to suit, as the default is "Book 1"
So, every time a new workbook is opened, it will be the default.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responce. I have to change it on every workbook I open. It used to open a new workbook with the color set as grey as default. Used to be able to see the gridlines as soon as a new book is open. If I go to advanced settings without opening a workbook it won't let me change it. I have even looked at the xlstart folder. Nothing is there as a template. Have no idea why its doing this. I upgraded my pc last year with new ASUS MB, processor (i7), 32 GB corsair ram, GPU, power supply. Pretty much everything. All nvme drives, and it has always done this. Would there be a win 11 setting adjusting this?

I'd suggest opening a new workbook and then change the settings to suit, as the default is "Book 1"
So, every time a new workbook is opened, it will be the default.
Tried that. Everytime I open a new workbook I change the setting to see the gridlines. Then open a new workbook same thing. It never stays.

Upvote 0
I suspect that you misinterpreted what Michael suggested.
The idea was to apply the setting to a workbook then save that workbook as a template (xltx) called Book.xltx in your Excel Startup folder.

You can find the full instructions here:

Upvote 0
I have saved a file with the setting I want and saved it to the xlstart folder and it still opens without the gridlines. I named it book.xltx and book 1.xltx with no results. It took me forever to find that folder. I have so many "microsoft" folders. Most are Office 16? I am almost to the point of doing a clean windows install and reinstalling office again. Who knows!!! Thanks for the help. If you do have any more suggestions I would be happy to try.

Upvote 0
So if I disable the start screen it works fine, but when I re-enable the start screen and then select blank workbook it does not work. I don't mind keeping the start screen disabled, but I would like to have it if possible.

Upvote 0
That's interesting, thanks for letting us know. Perhaps someone else as some suggestions on the Start Screen options.
For future reference, putting this in the VBA immediate box (ctrl+G if its not visible) will get you the startup folder
?application.StartupPath

Note: there is an alternate startup folder under File > Options > Advanced > General (3 heading from the bottom)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back