"Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other applications."

Does your macro include anything that uses a full column, like "G:G"?

Excel 2007 doesn't like this because of the nearly-unlimited number of rows available. Excel 2007 prefers that you identify the last row of the desired range, instead.

Don't know who you were addressing the question to, but I can answer for myself to say I don't use macros in my spreadsheets and I constantly experience this problem.

I do work in large spreadsheets, but can a 50MB spreadsheet with NO formulas, just data really cause this error?

I am running a ThinkPad with Windows 7, 64-bit, 4.00GB RAM and 2.40 GHz processor. It should have no problem running several 50MB excel sheets.

I created a 150MB Powerpoint presentation with movies, etc with ease on this machine, never recieving this error. Which leads me to think it's an Excel bug...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I get the error message when I print preview - also only after my excel has been open for a while. If I close excel and reopen then I seem to be able to do everything again - but the error message does recur, and it does not seem to be confined to one worksheet.

Upvote 0
I am operating in Windows 2010 and Microsoft Excel 2010 at work. I constantantly receive this error, but never received it until I was upgraded to the 2010 products. Like someone has already mentioned I can shut Excel down and the problem with go away ... FOR AWHILE. People have asked all over the internet about this issue. Many little fixes have been posted, but not real cures. The problem always resurfaces after a short period of time.

Obviously, Microsoft has done something somewhere that has created this issue and you would think they could figure out what they have done. I definitely look forward to this one being solved because it usually happens at very in opportune monments.

Jeff

Upvote 0
It actually seems to be happening now at random times - no longer connected to the print preview, but there still seems to be a connection to the formatting.

Very frustrating - however at least you can still save before closing.

Upvote 0
I must also mention however that I use a programme that links excel to pastel, so this might have something to do with it. I have been using this programme for years however with no problems - it is only recently that this problem has started occurring.

Upvote 0
This problem definitely occurs randomly. I normally have it happen when I try to open another Excel file. Yes, having several files open at once can certainly eat up memory, but why has it not been a problem in the past (at least 15+ years I have been using Excel). I have 3.46 GB of usable RAM. How much more could I need?

I do not connect to Pastel and I still have the problem as do many others. I do program extensively in VBA back behind Excel, but I have always done this and it has never caused a problem.

Problem started with latest version of Windows and latest version of Office. Because of some systems I am working with right now I actually have two computers running on a KBM switch. One is operating on Windows XP and Excel 2007 and I never have the problem on this box. Of course I have seen people with various version of Excel that are having the problem.

Microsoft needs to figure this out.

P.S. Ment to say Windows 7 not Windows 2010 in my previous post. Had had a long day.
Jeff

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had this same problem while using Excel 2007 to open a file created in Excel 2003. I used Excel 2010 to save it to the new .xlsx file type and the 2007 version was then able to open it.

Upvote 0
I also have the same error message and it happens when I make a chart and tries to change the format of the axis. Changing forth and back between different number format makes the memory usage go sky high and eventually the error message appears. Same if I try to change format of the equation generated by the trendline option.

It happens on a new sheet (just putting in 3+3 numbers enough to do a XY-plot) as well as old (.xls / 2003) files.

Memory usage when I start Excel 2007 is around 20 MB. Putting in 1, 2, 3 in cell A1 to A3 and 4, 5, 6 in cell B1 to B3. Choosing A1:B3 and generate XY-plot gives a memory usage of 30 MB.

Right clicking on the Y-axis "format axis" increases memory to 34 MB and now the GRAND FINALE - hit numbers and choose a different format for the Y-axis. The memory usage jumps to 47 MB. Set back the format to "general" and the memory increase to 60 MB.Keep changing between different format and the memory usage goes to 130 - 150 MB and then the error appears "Excel cannot complete this task..." When the memory is ticking up the CPU is working 50% but then stops when memory stops at the new high level.

IF I stop before getting error I can save to disk and re open at a low level of memory usage.

I run XP SP3 (re-installed) and office 2007. I have search everywhere (here and other forum) after solutions but found nothing. Tried same maneuvers on a colleges Excel 2010 with similar result. Increasing the virtual memory delays the error but before that the chart is not visible and the response from excel is not what is should be (extreme time laging when doing anything)

I have no .xlb file. Nothing in XLstart map either. No add-in activated. Not running any VBA code. I have tried all Excel settings that I thought could have anything to do with this issue.

When running "Office diagnostics" (installed with the office installation) DURING the high memory usage AND after the error have appeared it complains on the RAM memory. BUT running the diagnostic before the error message have appeared it does not report any errors.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Have you tried to change our variable definitions or maybe you forgot du declare one or more of your variables.

I also have the same error message and it happens when I make a chart and tries to change the format of the axis. Changing forth and back between different number format makes the memory usage go sky high and eventually the error message appears. Same if I try to change format of the equation generated by the trendline option.

It happens on a new sheet (just putting in 3+3 numbers enough to do a XY-plot) as well as old (.xls / 2003) files.

Memory usage when I start Excel 2007 is around 20 MB. Putting in 1, 2, 3 in cell A1 to A3 and 4, 5, 6 in cell B1 to B3. Choosing A1:B3 and generate XY-plot gives a memory usage of 30 MB.

Right clicking on the Y-axis "format axis" increases memory to 34 MB and now the GRAND FINALE - hit numbers and choose a different format for the Y-axis. The memory usage jumps to 47 MB. Set back the format to "general" and the memory increase to 60 MB.Keep changing between different format and the memory usage goes to 130 - 150 MB and then the error appears "Excel cannot complete this task..." When the memory is ticking up the CPU is working 50% but then stops when memory stops at the new high level.

IF I stop before getting error I can save to disk and re open at a low level of memory usage.

I run XP SP3 (re-installed) and office 2007. I have search everywhere (here and other forum) after solutions but found nothing. Tried same maneuvers on a colleges Excel 2010 with similar result. Increasing the virtual memory delays the error but before that the chart is not visible and the response from excel is not what is should be (extreme time laging when doing anything)

I have no .xlb file. Nothing in XLstart map either. No add-in activated. Not running any VBA code. I have tried all Excel settings that I thought could have anything to do with this issue.

When running "Office diagnostics" (installed with the office installation) DURING the high memory usage AND after the error have appeared it complains on the RAM memory. BUT running the diagnostic before the error message have appeared it does not report any errors.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaurav_7829

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back