Excel Chart Using a Dynamic Range - Keeps Changing

DJWH

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I have a chart that uses a dynamic named range to update automatically. I also have a drop down list which allows me to view the chart for a selected product. When I select an item from the drop down list, the data in my named range changes. However when I then go into my chart, and right click, source data, the chart is not looking at the named range anymore... It's looking at the direct reference to these cells.

Not sure if I am explaining it very well. Let me know if I need to provide more details.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

You cannot specify a dynamic range for the whole source data range of a chart. Well, you can, but as you've discovered, Excel converts it to the static address of the range, not the name of the dynamic range.

You can specify the X and Y ranges for each series as names instead of addresses, and Excel will remember these names.

If you need to specify a dynamic range for the chart's source data range with variable rows and columns, you can use the VBA approach I wrote about in Dynamic Chart Source Data.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Hello Jon,
Thank you for your contribution and your site (I have lost count of the number of times that I have recommended it in this Message Board).
The link that you provided does not work for me - I get the following error:
"Warning: require(./wp-blog-header.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/eh7701/public_html/WordPress/index.php on line 17
Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required './wp-blog-header.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in /www/eh7701/public_html/WordPress/index.php on line 17"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jahmia0616

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back