Excel Co-authoring Upload Failed, Upload Blocked Errors

Mrock1

Board Regular
From personal experience and reviewing this forum and even answers.microsoft.com, it seems that the co-authoring feature has some problems. I have two workbooks I share from Teams, both have macros and tables and one uses userforms for data entry. One, however, will experience random Upload Failed or Upload Blocked errors when more than one user has the workbook open. Curiously, these errors, forcing me to lose my changes and reopen the workbook, don't occur on all concurrent users at the same time.

I am sharing my workbooks

I will admit that the workbook I experience this problem with is very large and complex, with many array formulas executing conditional calculations across the entire table of some 1000 rows. Short of a very early (2022) discovery that editing macros while other users have the file open will almost certainly trigger the problem for one or more simultaneous users, the errors only really started to occur frequently in the last half of last year. The other workbook I have still uses tables and some array formulas, but is less complex and doesn't experience the problem unless I'm stupid enough to edit its macros while other have it open. I am now telling my users not to access the workbook while another user has it open, simply to avoid the problems of hours of data entry/change loss. This means we're effectively revering to a single user mode, contradictory to the expounded benefits of co-authoring. I have stripped out as many significant changes that I think I made to the workbook in the latter half of last year, but the problem persists.

MS has been unable to provide a definitive list of functions or features that may be problematic to co-authoring to date, despite, it seems, many people reporting the problem.

Does anyone know a fix to prevent the occurrence of these Upload Failed and Upload Block error messages, or at least know definitively, conditions, functions, etc, that cannot be used in a co-authored workbook?

Many Thanks,
Max

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I am having the same issue. A macro enabled workbook that has user forms to update and change data.

Users co-authoring the file will randomly get the same errors you’re getting. There is no consistent behavior.

Sometimes you can turn auto save back on and it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

I can find nothing to give me any clue the issue.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue. A macro enabled workbook that has user forms to update and change data.

Users co-authoring the file will randomly get the same errors you’re getting. There is no consistent behavior.

Sometimes you can turn auto save back on and it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

I can find nothing to give me any clue the issue.
Well at least we’re not alone. Same here except while I have turned on and off auto save as you suggest I find that is very unrealisable.

It would be nice if MS acknowledged the problem. My research suggests this has been experience all over for a couple of years and M does things like tell you to clear your office cache etc. nothing has worked and what would clearing my office cache when other users sharing the workbook experience ten same problem from time to time? We’d still lose our changes and it would likely reoccur. I recently had my profile deleted and rebuilt and the problem persists.

I know I can almost certainly trigger the error if I start making wholesale changes to macros while someone else has the workbook open. Either they or both of us get the error. I realise that cause my be completely understandable given how excel compiles macros, but it does trigger the upload failed error.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlckr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back