Excel downloads hyperlink rather than open it

Hpjberesford

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a shared excel workbook within my team and within the workbook are embedded hyperlinks to other shared excel workbooks. For all of the team apart from one, the hyperlink opens the excel workbook, but for one colleague the hyperlink downloads. I have scoured her settings but can't see anything to solve this (I've already ensured open supported hyperlinks to office files in office desktop apps is ticked) and searched online (including on this forum). Your help is much appreciated

TIA
Hayden

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Give an example of a hyperlink you are using. (SharePoint site? OneDrive? Other cloud service? Web site? Network file server?)
What version of Excel is opening the file, and what version of Excel is downloading it?

Upvote 0
We are all using excel 365. The link is pointing to an internal sharepoint site https://companycollaboration.sharepoint.com/sites/file path/document.xlsx

Having seen my colleague click the link it looks like it is being downloaded in chrome or certainly the chrome browser is open and it appears in the download icon in the chrome toolbar. So I have had a look at chrome settings but can't see anyting either.

I hope that's all the info you need and I haven't confused things further

Hayden

Upvote 0
I don't know how Chrome is coming into play. Are you using Excel 365 on the desktop version, or the online version?

There are Chrome settings to open a file directly but it still downloads it and opens the local copy. That sounds like it's not going to help you.

Upvote 0
I have looked at a lot of Google hits for this problem and I see no consistent solution, in fact few solutions at all.

Here is one person who found that an anti-malware program was causing this. The key is to find out what about this one person's environment is different than everybody else's, and it may not be directly related to Excel.

I had a colleague with the exact same problem today. It had started suddenly last night. What worked for us was to uninstall HP Wolf Security and the accompanying HP Security Update Service.

Upvote 0
We tend to use a mix of online and desktop. However my colleague has been in the desktop version of the excel file when clicking the hyperlink. I think for me it doesn't matter whether I am in excel online or excel desktop version the hyperlinks till works for me.
My only suspicion is that because the hyperlink starts with https my colleagues computer tries to open this in the browser and whereas other computers then open the excel file in online or desktop, her computer downloads the file to her computer

Upvote 0
Your suspicion makes sense if we just look at the behavior but I still don't know why it would work differently on just this one machine. I wonder if it is some kind of Registry setting.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back