Excel file not appearing the same on different computers

SaraWitch

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi peeps,

I have a very strange occurrence where the same Excel workbook is appearing differently on different computers/laptops. All devices have exactly the same Excel versions (Windows 10) and my organisational IT have no idea why this is happening and I can't find any conclusive solutions searching the Tinternet!

I have changed the Excel General User Interface options to 'Optimize for compatibility' but this has made no difference.

If I make changes in my squishy-view (which has only happened since getting a new laptop (although someone else with the same upgraded laptop views the workbook as it should be and another user gets the squishy view in an old laptop!)), it changes the view for the majority of others - now appearing elongated for them. I have copied the exact file to a memory stick and the workbook is fine on my personal computer.

The squishy-squashy view is random and is only happening in some Excel workbooks, and only seems to affect objects (I've attached a couple of images and highlighted in red the squished objects).

If anybody has come across this before and has a solution, I would be eternally grateful as it's driving me mad!!

Thank you...

Attachments

• Squishy View 1.png
    Squishy View 1.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Squishy View 2.png
    Squishy View 2.png
    61 KB · Views: 19

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
In my opinion appearances change based on fonts available, screen resolution, print drivers, and a whole host of other issues.

Best thing to do is to enlarge the graphics larger than you think you would need or shrink the text font. You could convert the text into an image, remove the background, paste it over the graphical part, then group the 2 images. Some photo editors can remove the background.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Jeffrey.

All fonts are available, and screen resolution and print drivers match on all devices (and, in fact, on the squishy version, it's also randomly changing some fonts to Calibri!). I've also tried reformatting/adjusting on the squishy version (some, not all because it would take me hours and hours!), but it totally throws it out for most other users. I am constantly updating this workbook, so images wouldn't work in this case. And I also have many old backup copies that it would be inefficient use of time to redo them all, even if this did work for everyone.

I really can't work out why it's only happening on some devices (when they all have the same set up) and, more, why it's only just started happening?!?

If no one has a workable solution, I may need to get in touch with Microsoft (but was loathe to do so as I never really get a practical answer!)...

Upvote 0
Just because everything looks the same on all the computers doesn't mean it is. Widening columns and enlarging shapes is a simple solution

It looks like this is created in a cell and you're going to have to widen the cell.
1710360175772.png

I don't see any issue with this
1710360236669.png

Those oval shapes with text are just going to have to be enlarged

Upvote 0
Thank you, Jeffrey.

I appreciate that just because everything looks the same on all computers doesn't mean it is; however, there has never been any issue with these workbooks until I got a new laptop. The columns and rows are all exactly the same size - it's just objects that have been squished.

The 'Homes First Workstreams' is an image, not created in a cell and widening the column makes no difference (and I don't want to widen the column because it will throw out formatting for other data).

The 'Customer First' logo is not a perfect green circle, and it should be (along with the other circle objects). If I enlarge the objects, they are not correct for most other users view (including my own on a different device).

It's definitely a view issue and not a formatting issue (I've been working consistently with these workbooks for years!).

Upvote 0
Do you have this option selected for those images? This doesn't always work. The other option is to create a macro that runs when the file is opened that resets the image size to the way you intended.
1710426228106.png

Upvote 0
Yes, the properties are all as they should be (i.e., not to move and size with cells). This isn't a case of someone else reformatting it to affect the view; this is exactly the same workbook but showing differently on different devices. When opening the squishy view, all the objects have changed size (mainly reduced in width) and if I amend the squishy version, it throws it all out in all other devices (i.e., the objects are elongated!).

I feel like it must have something to do with settings, but I really can't see anything different on the different devices. It's really frustrating as I'm having to work in/amend the workbooks on my personal computer and copy them across to my laptop so it's on the shared network.

Like I said, this only started happening when I got my new laptop about a month ago.

And Microsoft keep cutting me off when I finally get through! 😣

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh, and it's not happening to all workbooks, just a select few! :unsure:

Upvote 0
Does seem strange, what is the status of the below setting on your laptop and their computers:
Settings > System > Display > Advanced scaling settings, "Let windows try to fix apps so they're not blurry"

As above, what is the status of the below setting on both computers (if you have this setting):
Settings > System > Display > Graphics Settings, "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling"

I read once that these setting can cause strange behaviour with objects on a sheet. I would recommend trying with both of the above turned off on both machines, as the other machines have not changed - it could be more to do with the settings on your new laptop. This is only a suggestion as this issue seems rather obscure, at this point I don't have a definite fix.

Upvote 0
You can also check for differences in setting inside Excel, differences between your laptop and the workstation.
Settings like:
General > When using multiple displays..
General > Advanced >Print..

Just generally make sure the setting line up, but again look closer at changing the laptop as that is the new addition.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back