Excel giving me wrong percentage answer

Ktyn111

I am trying to find % contribution. I know the answer to %18.29/$43.36 should equal 0.42181 which would be 42.18% but excel is giving me the answer 42.1877 rounding it to 42.19%. My answer needs to be 42.18%. How do I fix this?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Make your formula =ROUND(B70,2)/ROUND(B61,2)

I don't know if that's a good idea in all circumstances, since it actually will produce the wrong answer; however, since in this case, we're dealing with Small amount of currency, that may be negligible.

Upvote 0
How do i fix this? Sorry I am no expert in excel at all whatsoever.

If you're not dealing with huge amounts of money, you can consider keelaboosa's suggestion, or you can do the ROUNDING at the source formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am trying to divide $18.29/$43.36. The correct answer is 0.421817 which is 42.18%. But when I type the formula into excel (B70/B61) it is giving me 0.421877 which is making the percentage be 42.19%.[
Make your formula =ROUND(B70,2)/ROUND(B61,2)

That is indeed the right answer, and it is the correct arithmetic in all cases with all dollar amounts (that are $9,999,999,999,999.99 or less :) )

@Ktyn111.... You are confusing how the cell values appear (18.29 and 43.36) with what their actual values are.

If you temporarily format B70, B61 and the quotient to display 13 decimal places, you will see that one or all actual values are not 18.29, 43.36 and 42.1877%.

In particular, B70 is between 18.285 and 18.2949999999999, B61 is between 43.355 and 43.3649999999999, and the quotient is between 42.18765% and 42.1877499999999%.

If you want to divide the values as they appear, use the ROUND expressions that kellaboosa provided.

Alternatively, you might consider explicitly rounding the calculations in one or both cells. That is, change =expression to =ROUND(expression,2).

We choose 2 decimal places because that seems to be the accuracy that you expect, based on the cell format and the expectations that you document in this thread. In general, you should round to the degree of accuracy that you expect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've run into this issue myself. Sometimes it's not clear when you should round answers - before or after a calculation. Maybe you need a percentage based on values that could be proven by timecard stubs - maybe it's more complicated than that. The short answer to when to round is: "It depends"

Upvote 0
I've run into this issue myself. Sometimes it's not clear when you should round answers - before or after a calculation. Maybe you need a percentage based on values that could be proven by timecard stubs - maybe it's more complicated than that. The short answer to when to round is: "It depends"

Yes, it does. It is a judgment call.

What I was saying was: Ktyn clearly indicated a desire to calculate the percentage based on the rounded values that appear in B70 and B61. In that case, Ktyn should explicitly round those values.

(Of course, after this discussion, Ktyn might have second thoughts and realize that the he/she should calculate with the precision of the actual values.)

We have no information (from Ktyn) to tell us whether or not Ktyn should round the calculations in the cells themselves. That is why I said only that Ktyn should "consider" it.

In general, when we expect a calculation to be accurate to some number of decimal places, we should explicitly round the calculation to that number of decimal places.

Whether we round the result of the calculation in the cell or wherever it is referenced depends on our needs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChessManNaill

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back