Excel: How to suppress repeating values in a manner that takes into account previous conditional formatting? (Google Calendar-like scheduling blocks)

DomDeDyllban

I am using Excel 2011 (for Mac).

I'm in the process of creating a scheduling template.

I'm trying to figure out how I create a conditional formatting formula for suppressing repeating values that takes into account the conditional formatting (highlighting specific colours based on specific text) I've already implemented. Basically, I'm trying set up the schedule so that the first row of each text is visible, but that repeating rows below only show the highlight (i.e., values suppressed)--something akin to Google Calendar. I've used data validation to create a drop-down menu (of work activities) based on the following list (kept in a separate worksheet). From what I can figure out, I will need to create a formula for conditional formatting (something like =b2=b1 to change the colour of my text so that it is not visible), but I'm not sure how to do this given the fact that I have multiple rules for highlighting (in different colours).

Keep in mind that I'm new to Excel and this is my first go at this sort of thing (I'm likely going to reduce the amount of colour).

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Thanks for the advice! This helped out quite a bit, however, I'm running into another issue. Is there a way to have the top row (rather than the bottom one) be the only one displayed (given repeating values). I played around with rule order, etc., but I can't seem to get this to happen (only the bottom row displays). I'm sure this may be obvious to an expert, but, like I mentioned, I'm still fairly new to Excel. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Say your data is in B2:B5. You need two Conditional Formats:

=AND(B2=B1,B2="Info Desk") Font and Fill the same colour
=B2="Info Desk" Fill only

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back