Excel is Busy...

bigck2

Board Regular
Hello all,

I was working with an excel file yesterday and everything worked fine. Today, I opened and tried to add some data to one of my tables. The table is in the excel file and also used by PowerPivot. Whenever I added the data, I hit Update All. After giving me the usual prompts in the bottom right of excel (reading data, processing data) everything kind of just slows down. I am unable to close or do anything in PowerPivot.

I resorted to closing excel and not saving. When I exit excel I get an error message saying 'error creating window handle'.

Any thoughts on what this means?

I have been saving many versions of the file and I opened the last version I had saved from yesterday when everything was working fine. In this file I open PowerPivot, it does the usual prompts (reading data, processing data), then again it just freezes up and tells me Excel is busy.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
And then magically, after opening and closing multiple times it magically works.

I have no idea what is happening. Please let me know if you have any resources to help understand how to avoid this.

Upvote 0
I would double check that you don't have any ghost/orphan excel processes running the background via task manager. happens to me frequently with freaky results.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lee_ray

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back