Excel "pop up" menus opening out of focus

archerpro101

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Mr. Excel community! I'm having trouble with Excel 365, wherein if I'm using hotkeys to execute actions that open menus (for example, Text to Columns, or Paste Special), the pop-up menus are opening out of focus. The remedy is I then either need to hit Alt+Tab to select the menu, or I need to manually move my cursor to click on the menu to "activate". If I take no action, I cannot continue using the given hotkeys in a sequence I'm trying to execute quickly.

I hope this makes sense. I've scoured the internet and haven't found anything helpful - appreciate any tips!

Best,
Archer

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Once the dialog box has been opened, it IS the active window by default.
ALT + D + E will activate Text to columns
When that dialog box appears, you will need to press either ALT + D for delimited, ALT + W for fixed widrh
ALT + N will then take you to the next window......etc, etc.
Have a look in each window and you will see certain letters are underligned...these are the hotkey letters you have to choose from !

Upvote 0
Once the dialog box has been opened, it IS the active window by default.
ALT + D + E will activate Text to columns
When that dialog box appears, you will need to press either ALT + D for delimited, ALT + W for fixed widrh
ALT + N will then take you to the next window......etc, etc.
Have a look in each window and you will see certain letters are underligned...these are the hotkey letters you have to choose from !
Hi Michael, thanks for your note. What I'm describing is that when the dialog box opens, that the hotkeys are no longer active and the dialog box itself is grayed out, so I need to tab into it, or click on the dialog box to "reactivate" it so I can continue using the hotkeys. This is a more recent issue and Excel has never behaved like this before. I'm at a loss of what to do here :(

Any other thoughts?

Upvote 0
Have you installed any addins recently ??
OR
Had an upgrade ?
Do you have more than one sheet active, ie, multiple sheets tabs selected ?

Upvote 0
Have you installed any addins recently ??
OR
Had an upgrade ?
Do you have more than one sheet active, ie, multiple sheets tabs selected ?
Hi Michael,

No new addins recently, and no upgrades that I'm aware of. When this is happening, only a single sheet is active. The issue persists if I have other workbooks open, so that doesn't seem to be a factor.

Best,
Archer

Upvote 0
I can't really advise any further....it sounds like another app or even a macro is taking the focus.
HAve you tried closing ALL other applications and checking for worksheet_change macros in your workbook ??
Other than that I'm afraid I'm at a loss....and hope someone else can jump in to assist !!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back