Excel Round() - Truck Type Problem Statement

rohankekatpure1987

Hi Team,

I'm struggling with rounding off scenarios in Excel. Can you help me with the below problem statement.

Data-
Customer LocationSales Qty (MT)Possible Truck Type Truck Type Truck Type(Tolerance)
X20.315,20
Y18.316,20
Z9.910,15,20

<tbody>
</tbody>

Output expected in Truck Type and Truck Type(Tolerance)

Problem Statement- I need to find out the truck type of each of sales qty delivered to customer location X, Y and Z. The possible truck type is comma separated in column name - " Possible Truck Type".
Eg- For Customer Location X, the sales qty delivered is 20.3 Metric Ton(MT) in either of the "Possible Truck Type"- 15,20. 15 represents 15 MT and 20 represents 20 MT.

I need to round off Sales Qty(MT) column.

The output of round off will be in Column- Truck Type and Truck Type (Tolerance) with the following rules -

For Truck Type column-
1) We round the sales qty to nearest possible truck type.
Eg- For customer location x, sales qty delivered was 20.3 MT with possible truck type 15,20. The nearest value to sale 20.3 is 20. So the Truck type for customer X is 20.

For Truck Type(Tolerance) column-
2) We say the truck type has 10% tolerance and can carry 10% additional capacity for delivery.
Eg- For customer location Y, sales qty delivered was 18.3 MT with possible truck type 16,20.
So the lower limit 10% and upper limit 10% (variance) of 18.3 is 16.47 and 20.13 respectively.
Now since 20.13 is closer to possible truck type 20 than 16.47 is to possible truck type 16, the Truck Type ( Tolerance) for customer type Y is 20.

Let me know in case of questions.

Thanks,
Rohan K

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col width="64" span="7" style="width:48pt"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody></tbody>

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi,

For truck type, there's this not so elegant array formula that works (add with ctrl+shift+enter) (formula works if truck capacities are always entered as 2 digit numbers, so if there's one less than 10, it would have to be added with a leading 0, like "08")
=INDEX(VALUE(MID(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&(LEN(C2)+1)/3))*3-2,2)),MATCH(MIN(ABS(VALUE(MID(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&(LEN(C2)+1)/3))*3-2,2))-B2)),ABS(VALUE(MID(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&(LEN(C2)+1)/3))*3-2,2))-B2),0))

The tolerance one is a lot more complex because you'd have to check all possible types against both -10% and +10% targets. Additionally, I don't understand your description, if the truck type has tolerance/additional capacity, then why Sales Qty is lowered/increased and not the actual truck capacity?

Upvote 0
Rohan,

If you're comfortable with a vba approach, you might consider the following...

Code:
Sub TruckType_1023820()
Dim r As Range, rng As Range
Dim arr As Variant, i As Long, j As Long

Set rng = Range("A2:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
For Each r In rng
    arr = Split(Cells(r.Row, 3).Value, ",")
    ''''Determine Truck Type
    j = 0
    For i = 1 To UBound(arr)
        If Abs(arr(i) - Cells(r.Row, 2)) < Abs(arr(i - 1) - Cells(r.Row, 2)) Then j = i
    Next i
    Cells(r.Row, 4).Value = arr(j)
    ''''Determine Truck Type (Tolerance)
    j = 0
    For i = 1 To UBound(arr)
        If Abs(arr(i) - 0.9 * Cells(r.Row, 2)) < Abs(arr(i - 1) - 0.9 * Cells(r.Row, 2)) Then j = i
        If Abs(arr(i) - 1.1 * Cells(r.Row, 2)) < Abs(arr(i - 1) - 1.1 * Cells(r.Row, 2)) Then j = i
    Next i
    Cells(r.Row, 5).Value = arr(j)
Next r
End Sub

Cheers,

tonyyy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back