excel userform problems after january 2023 security update?

donalde

Board Regular
Excel January 2023 security update causes issues with excel macros? I have excel template (generated from stand alone VB application) that has macros. This template has worked without any problem on this particular part for past 6 or more years. Ever since January 2023 o365 security update (or Microsoft cumulative update January 2023) this excel template has had an critical issue, it 1st becomes non responding, and then crashes without any error notification. After receiving error reports of this behavior from end users, my initial thought was that something had changed on my quarterly release of new application version, new template version or new price list version. I started testing with latest template and older template (in use since and working October 2022), and latest price list and older price list (in use and working since October 2022). I tested all possible combinations, and all combinations crashed same manner. I started to use excel VBA's debugging feature, but on debug mode (one macro code row at time) code works nicely.

What macro is doing when it crashes? It opens another workbook (price list earlier mentioned), selects worksheet from price list, reads values of certain column (containing name of country and then populates those country names to excel vba user form, then waits user to select country from list and press separated "ok" (or "cancel") button in userform. That is how it used to work. Since last week, userform and excel becomes not responsible after userform is shown (after it is populated in background) and after like 10 to 15 second the userform disappears, opened excel price list and generated template disappears. If there are other excels open, they remain open, and working. No 'ghost' excel processes are left after crash. Since newer and older excel template and price list are causing same crash, it seems to indicate this is issue of excel update instead of actual error on macro or in source data on that price list. This crashing behavior is same regardless if excels are located on network drive or on local folder without any network connection (eg laptop on airplane mode) Any one has any advice how to proceed?

In event viewer there is application log entry is
Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.15601.20456
Faulting module name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.15601.20456
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: change every time crash occur
Faulting process id: change every time crash occur

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back