Exec Summary creation

millerkd

I have a spread sheet of vacant billets that is primarily organized by offices/sub-offices and then organized by statuses. I have been requested, to provide an executive summary for all of the sub-offices that shows the status of each vacant billet by status and by sub-office (See Below).

So I have office 1, and it is split into 1A, 1B, and 1C. within each sub-office there are multiple vacant billets that are in any number of statuses (i.e. with mgmt for decision, in security, with HR, etc.) these statuses are all captured in one of the collumns. What I need to provide is a status at the top of my report something like below.

Office 1
Office 1A33
HR15
Security
Mgmt Decision3
Office 1B20
HR9
Security8
Mgmt Decision3
Office 1C47
HR7
Security20
Mgmt Decision20

<colgroup><col style="width:48pt" span="2" width="64"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3657;width:75pt" width="100"> <col style="width:48pt" width="64"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2523;width:52pt" width="69"> <col style="width:48pt" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Is there a way for me to provide this with out going through and counting each one manually?

I have thought about using a pivot table but I am not sure how to set it up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Kris

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Hi Kris,

With your current format, it would be quite a difficult task to provide the sort of summary you require - especially since it also looks like you have a number of merged cells in there. If possible, I would recommend reorganizing the data into something like the following format:

Office 1 | Office 1A | HR | 15
Office 1 | Office 1A | Security | 15
Office 1 | Office 1A | Mgmt Decision | 3
Office 1 | Office 1B | HR | 9

etc. The pipes are meant to symbolize different cells.

That will allow you to use either a pivot table or a number of SUMIF / SUMIFS formulas to easily provide the required results.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Catalin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back