Extract 1-N value(s) from a string of text in 1 cell - multiple extraction values in separate tables (excel formula needed)

zen

Thank you in advance for the help! ?

After extensive forum research, I decided to post since I was unable to find a comparable problem/solution.

Summary
  • Objective
    • Map supplier SKUs (product IDs) to our internal SKUs (e.g. ABC00240404XP R/T US28 --> ABC-4040XP-689)
  • Data
    • 100,000+ SKUs
    • Multiple brands, product lines, and models
    • Varying SKU nomenclature between suppliers (e.g. 1 product, 2 different supplier SKUs)
  • SKU overview
    • Nomenclature can vary (e.g. use of dashes, spaces, and different finish/color IDs)
  • Goal
    • I need to extract one or more values/IDs/criteria from within the SKU string
  • The criteria will vary depending on the brand or product line
  • SKUs also vary in structure/format and length (len() is <10 to 50+)
    • Use of dashes (-), spaces, and other characters to separate the different code

Objective/desired outcome
  1. Extract the needed values/text
  2. Transform the data (e.g. convert finish code: e.g. from: US28 --> to: 689)
  3. Create a new SKU based on our internal nomenclature

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Please be more specific. It sounds like each of your SKU suppliers have added unwanted characters and formats. And it sounds like each one would require different rules to make them compatible.

I can see in this string: ABC00240404XP R/T US28 that you removed 002, R/T and replaced US28 with 689. Is that the same for all your suppliers?

Upvote 0
Please be more specific. It sounds like each of your SKU suppliers have added unwanted characters and formats. And it sounds like each one would require different rules to make them compatible.

I can see in this string: ABC00240404XP R/T US28 that you removed 002, R/T and replaced US28 with 689. Is that the same for all your suppliers?
I accidentally hit submit prematurely.

Suppliers have not added "unwanted" data per se, it's just not useful for this exervise.

We only need components of the SKU.

Your observation is correct – we've 1) extracted, and 2) normalized, and 3) concatenated in our desired format.

Image attached.

Attachments

• _a_excel_example (1).png
    _a_excel_example (1).png
    251.1 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back