Extract text string fromcell based on multiple criteria

Versejus

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution for the following issue. I need to extract a specific text string from a cell and return a value that belongs to the found text string.

Let me be more specific. I hava a list with data that contains a band somewhere in the cell like this:

Shoe | BRAND A | size 45
T-Shirt | BRAND B| size XL
Sneekers | China | size 35 | BRAND A
Shoe | size 12 | Brand c
T-Shirt |BRAND AZ| size M
etc.

Note that the brand is not at a fixed place, can be in capitals or not, a brand can be part of another brand, is inbetween | or not and has different number of spaces before or after the brandname.

What I want as an outcome is the following:

colum A colum B

Shoe | SPIKES | BRAND A | size 45 BRAND A
T-Shirt | BRAND B| size XL BRAND B
Sneekers | China | size 35 | BRAND A BRAND A
Shoe | size 12 | Brand c BRAND C
T-Shirt BRAND AZ size M BRAND AZ

Initially I made a translation table on the sheet "Brands" with all options and the value that needs to be returned. Like this:

Colum A Colum B

BRAND A BRAND A
BRANDA BRAND A
BARND A BRAND A
etc.

And used the following formula to return the Brand in the cell right to the cell that has to be examined:

=INDEX(Brands!$B$2:$B$1000;MATCH(TRUE;ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Brands!$A$2:$A$1000;INDIRECT("RC[-1]";0)));0))

Trouble is that BRAND AZ is marked as BRAND A. Therefore I tried to make the search strings unique:

Colum A Colum B

| BRAND A | BRAND A
|BRAND A | BRAND A
|BRAND A| BRAND A

etc.

Throuble here is that for all brands you have at least 5 options that are used reguarly and the calculation time skyrockets. (The actual unique brands is close to 12,000 and the number of line items is huge!). Therefore I'm looking for a smarter solution that requires less calculation time like using e.g. a search formula with multiple criteria or any other smart solution.
The brands are mostly in capitals but offten there are also other words in capital that don't refere to a brand, this is why just extracting the capital word out of the text did not work either.

Thak you, but what does it do when e.g. LIKEPUMA is a realy different brand and needs to be maked LIKEPUMA instread of PUMA SE?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Hi All

I don't know if my problem is related to Versejus or is there a way around this.

Anyway this is my problem

column A column B

R 234,34 R 234,34
-234,34 -R 234,34
567,23 R 567,23

Even if I have formatted column A to Currency, still some figures shows up as -234,34 instead of -R 234,34.

Is there a way that I can fix this ?

Note that column B is empty so there is only data in column A

Upvote 0
Problem solved, I have copied over all of the data to a new sheet and just flash filled the column next to it.All of the items is correct with double checked.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back