Extract text string fromcell based on multiple criteria

Versejus

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution for the following issue. I need to extract a specific text string from a cell and return a value that belongs to the found text string.

Let me be more specific. I hava a list with data that contains a band somewhere in the cell like this:

Shoe | BRAND A | size 45
T-Shirt | BRAND B| size XL
Sneekers | China | size 35 | BRAND A
Shoe | size 12 | Brand c
T-Shirt |BRAND AZ| size M
etc.

Note that the brand is not at a fixed place, can be in capitals or not, a brand can be part of another brand, is inbetween | or not and has different number of spaces before or after the brandname.

What I want as an outcome is the following:

colum A colum B

Shoe | SPIKES | BRAND A | size 45 BRAND A
T-Shirt | BRAND B| size XL BRAND B
Sneekers | China | size 35 | BRAND A BRAND A
Shoe | size 12 | Brand c BRAND C
T-Shirt BRAND AZ size M BRAND AZ

Initially I made a translation table on the sheet "Brands" with all options and the value that needs to be returned. Like this:

Colum A Colum B

BRAND A BRAND A
BRANDA BRAND A
BARND A BRAND A
etc.

And used the following formula to return the Brand in the cell right to the cell that has to be examined:

=INDEX(Brands!$B$2:$B$1000;MATCH(TRUE;ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Brands!$A$2:$A$1000;INDIRECT("RC[-1]";0)));0))

Trouble is that BRAND AZ is marked as BRAND A. Therefore I tried to make the search strings unique:

Colum A Colum B

| BRAND A | BRAND A
|BRAND A | BRAND A
|BRAND A| BRAND A

etc.

Throuble here is that for all brands you have at least 5 options that are used reguarly and the calculation time skyrockets. (The actual unique brands is close to 12,000 and the number of line items is huge!). Therefore I'm looking for a smarter solution that requires less calculation time like using e.g. a search formula with multiple criteria or any other smart solution.
The brands are mostly in capitals but offten there are also other words in capital that don't refere to a brand, this is why just extracting the capital word out of the text did not work either.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
This works for the sample data that you provided

Excel 2010
AB
1StringBrand
2Shoe | BRAND A | size 45BRAND A
3T-Shirt | BRAND B| size XLBRAND B
4Sneekers | China | size 35 | BRAND ABRAND A
5Shoe | size 12 | Brand cBRAND C
6T-Shirt |BRAND AZ| size MBRAND AZ
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2=TRIM(UPPER(SUBSTITUTE(MID(A2,SEARCH("Brand",A2),8),"|","")))

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I'm afraight it is a little more complex than that, but this is due to the way I choose to display the problem. Instead of Brand A etc there is an actual brand, like e.g. Puma, Adidas, Asics etc. . There is no common word.

Upvote 0
„BRAND A” will be found in „BRAND AZ” but „ BRAND A „ will not be found in „ BRAND AZ „ so use this principle when searching for the brand names.

Upvote 0
How about this:

Book1
AB
1StringBrand
2Shoe | BRAND Puma | size 45Brand Puma
3T-Shirt | BRAND adidas| size XLBrand Adidas
4Sneekers | China | size 35 | BRAND nikeBrand Nike
5Shoe | size 12 | Brand charlieBrand Charlie
6T-Shirt |BRAND AriZona | size M | other textBrand Arizona
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2=PROPER(LEFT(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-SEARCH("BRAND",A2)+1),SEARCH("|",(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-SEARCH("BRAND",A2)+1)&"|"))-1))
B3=PROPER(LEFT(RIGHT(A3,LEN(A3)-SEARCH("BRAND",A3)+1),SEARCH("|",(RIGHT(A3,LEN(A3)-SEARCH("BRAND",A3)+1)&"|"))-1))
B4=PROPER(LEFT(RIGHT(A4,LEN(A4)-SEARCH("BRAND",A4)+1),SEARCH("|",(RIGHT(A4,LEN(A4)-SEARCH("BRAND",A4)+1)&"|"))-1))
B5=PROPER(LEFT(RIGHT(A5,LEN(A5)-SEARCH("BRAND",A5)+1),SEARCH("|",(RIGHT(A5,LEN(A5)-SEARCH("BRAND",A5)+1)&"|"))-1))
B6=PROPER(LEFT(RIGHT(A6,LEN(A6)-SEARCH("BRAND",A6)+1),SEARCH("|",(RIGHT(A6,LEN(A6)-SEARCH("BRAND",A6)+1)&"|"))-1))

Regards,

CJ

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you CJ,

The word brand is not a standard part of the cells. I'll add a few cells of the actual data I need to extract the brands from:

Wall Lamps | lighting |FARO licensing
The LED light | lighting |MOLUX licensing
He shook his head light | stage by the | Brand | Iron + no plastic
625 chassis LED bulb | lighting |K-LITE licensing
The LED light bar | decorative lighting with | unlicensed |
Beam Lamp lighting |WOWLITE | Licensing |

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col></colgroup>

What it needs to return is:
FARO
MOLUX
unbranded
K-LITE
unbranded
WOWLITE

At which unbranded is optional.

Upvote 0
I see now. This is a bit more complicated. Do you know in advance all of the brand names that may be used? If so, you could create a named range that contains them, and, using an array formula, maybe we can incorporate that into 63falcondude's or my formula.

Regards,

CJ

Upvote 0
I do have a list of brands and the name it needs to reply, e.g WOWLITE is also written as WOW-LIGHT and in the end I wan to run a pivot on the results to calculate the totals of revenue (in a different cell). So I do have a table with the brand and the return value. Problem is that there are brands that are a part of another brand e.g. GE and GENERAL or LODGE.
This a list of 12,000 brands and return vanlues. In order to concur the partial name effect I tried to make every lookup value unique but this results in a sixfold of the brands list. (which makes it 72,000) and I need to run this over approximately 1,000,000 records. See my problem...?

Upvote 0
Similar problem has been solved like this: a "keyword" was chosen for each brand, say PUMA, and if this keyword appeared in the string to be processed, a standard name was extracted. For example, if the string contained either PUMA ltd. or PUMA Corp. or PUMA(LTD), it was substituted with the standard name, say PUMA SE.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back