Extracting text from cell into different columns without using "Text to Columns" function

striker359

Board Regular
Hi, I would like to extract the text from a cell into different columns.

Eg. In cell I32, I have

SLVT920H SLVT921H SLVT923H SLVT935H SLVT978A SLVT910H SLVT911H SLVT979H SLVT982H

I would like to extract the text and put them into different columns.

End Result:

SLVT920H | SLVT921H | SLVT923H | SLVT978A | etc.

How should I go about doing it?

The formula I posted should be pasted in cell B1, then you drag it across the columns, I assume each string is separated by a space, then it should work

its good to see XOR LX's formula, I need to take it to the formula auditor to see whats happening :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
The formula I posted should be pasted in cell B1, then you drag it across the columns, I assume each string is separated by a space, then it should work

its good to see XOR LX's formula, I need to take it to the formula auditor to see whats happening :)

Thanks! I'd be happy to try to explain it if you don't get anywhere with the auditor.

Cheers

Upvote 0
@XOR LX By VBA, I'm assuming u mean using macros yeah? If so, would you be able to construct something out?

This is my file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1biaP-f5X6zcUo0bGpxMGc2T2c/edit?usp=sharing

While the extraction function worked great, I have encountered a few inconveniences which would be great if you could iron them out.

1. For some jobs, they actually have 3 lines worth of dependencies and I was wondering if it's possible to have the macro check this and then output it into a single row instead. (Eg Row16,17,18)
2. Would there be a way to copy the strikethrough format or if that's not possible maybe to return a null value when there is a strikethrough
3. For dependencies that actually do not contain the jobname, to return a null value as well (Eg I18)

No. Not without VBA.

Regards

Upvote 0
First thing it does it substitute 1 space with 113 spaces (not sure why 113 and not another larger number, but not the point)

It uses mid to determine where to start. As there have been a large number of spaces inserted, I guess there is a large tolerable error in what character to start at so the formula just picks up a point where the next 113 characters will contain the next block of text. This isolates the text and then trims it. As such, the formula will breakdown where string characters - number of words >113.

Upvote 0
A simple solution would just be to change 113 to a larger number, say 1000, no?

First thing it does it substitute 1 space with 113 spaces (not sure why 113 and not another larger number, but not the point)

It uses mid to determine where to start. As there have been a large number of spaces inserted, I guess there is a large tolerable error in what character to start at so the formula just picks up a point where the next 113 characters will contain the next block of text. This isolates the text and then trims it. As such, the formula will breakdown where string characters - number of words >113.

Upvote 0
As such, the formula will breakdown where string characters - number of words >113.

A simple solution would just be to change 113 to a larger number, say 1000, no?

You're correct. My choice of 113 was arbitrary and, strictly-speaking, could fail.

Even better than choosing an even larger arbitrary value would be to replace 113 with e.g. LEN(A1) - which you'll also see often - since no part of a string can be of greater length than the string itself.

I guess I just did a quick mental calculation that the probability of there being a substring of length>113 in the OP's data was so small as to warrant my choice. But perhaps I will start using this LEN construction from now on - rigour in Excel formulas is a desirable quality, after all.

And gwono - thanks for doing my explanation for me!

Cheers

Upvote 0
So it becomes this?

=IFERROR(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE($A1," ",REPT(" ",LEN($A1))),LEN($A1)*(COLUMNS($A:A)-1)+1,LEN($A1))),"")

You're correct. My choice of 113 was arbitrary and, strictly-speaking, could fail.

Even better than choosing an even larger arbitrary value would be to replace 113 with e.g. LEN(A1) - which you'll also see often - since no part of a string can be of greater length than the string itself.

I guess I just did a quick mental calculation that the probability of there being a substring of length>113 in the OP's data was so small as to warrant my choice. But perhaps I will start using this LEN construction from now on - rigour in Excel formulas is a desirable quality, after all.

And gwono - thanks for doing my explanation for me!

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daymo66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back