Extracting UK post codes

When you enter =U into a cell, do you get a function drop down appear showing UKPostCode and UPPER?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Just another thought. You don't have 'Macros disabled without notification' do you?

Upvote 0
Hi Tony

When I enter the formula =U in he dropdown I get UKPostCode( I do no get "upper" I assume this is because I have only put in the first part of Tony's code. I thought It would be better to get the first part working.

I have save the worksheet as macro enabled but when I open it I do not get the message to enable it.

Derek

Upvote 0
One thing to add, if you have a list of all the relevant post code prefixes, you can just do a pattern match for those using Instr in VBA -- very slow, but very effective. It's unlikely that "TN15" or "WC2V" would appear elsewhere in a long string so you could assume it's a post code and just extract the first 8 chars after that, and then look at cleaning the ends of those up afterwards (i.e. delete everything >3 chars after the central space, where you have a central space of course)

Seems I can't attach files, but I do have a list of all the valid prefixes, so if you want it just PM me with your email address

Upvote 0
Because you speak of saving MacroEnabled, I assume that you are using 2007 or later?
Goto Excel Options - Trust Center - Trust Center Settings - Macro Settings and make sure that you do NOT have 'Disable all Macros without notification' ticked.

If you do then change it to 'Disable all Macros with notification'.

Then close and reopen the file and Enable Macros when asked.

Upvote 0
For completeness........

I have had the opportunity to look at Derek's file and the issue was that Derek had named the code module as UKPostCode , exactly the same name as Rick's UDF.
This obviously creates some conflict within Excel and thus the UDF would not function.

When the module name was changed to UKPostCodes Rick's first UDF extracted the post codes perfectly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mari_mariou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back