Extracting Values from Database

sid1986

Hi,

I am not sure if this question has been posted before.

I have a sheet of data which has revenue earned by date. Now what i want to do is to compare data day wise for example, I would want to compare revenue earned today, which is wednesday with all the previous wednesday's of the year and Rank today against the year.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hi

If you add a column called "day" with the formula =TEXT(A1,"DDD") where A1 is the first cell of your date field. Then you could pivot your data showing the following fields

Day as a report filter
Date as a row label
Revenue as a value
Then add revenue as a value again & show it as "rank" (say largest to smallest)

This ranks all of your revenue by date. Change the report filter to Wednesday for your required data

Upvote 0
Hi

If you add a column called "day" with the formula =TEXT(A1,"DDD") where A1 is the first cell of your date field. Then you could pivot your data showing the following fields

Day as a report filter
Date as a row label
Revenue as a value
Then add revenue as a value again & show it as "rank" (say largest to smallest)

This ranks all of your revenue by date. Change the report filter to Wednesday for your required data

This definitely would work but its again a lengthy process.

I want it to be more dynamic wherein as soon I enter today's i.e wednesday's data, it should automatically match with all the previous wednesdays and rank today's figures with rest of them.

Upvote 0
need more info.. and post some sample data

Sample.png
[/IMG]

hope this helps.

Upvote 0

ABCDEF
1DateOnline time(Hrs)Cust Contact (no's)Success No.sAmountDay
202/01/20133310627£ 112Wednesday
303/02/20134412065£150Tuesday
401/05/20132222027£88Wednesday

<tbody>
</tbody>

This is sample data. Now I want my table to be dynamic and to reflect the ranks as and when i add more data to it. For example if I add date and data for next Wednesday. The formula should look at all the previous wednesdays and rank them.

hope this helps.

Upvote 0
no image is there .. just highlight the cells on your sheet.. give them borders... and copy and paste into here..oops sorry it appeard.. haha..

Upvote 0
Creating the pivot would be a one off then once you have entered todays data... just right click and refresh the pivot & click on wednesday in the report filter

You could also if you prefer keep the "day" column and add 2 more columns

1 Revenue2 =IF(B2=TEXT(MAX($C$2:$C$5000),"DDD"),D2,"") where B = your day column C is your date column and D is your revenue column
2 Rank =IF(ISERROR(RANK.EQ(D2,$E$2:$E$5000)),"",RANK.EQ(D2,$E$2:$E$5000)) where E = Revenue2 column above

This should auto match with the previous wednesdays & rank accordingly

Upvote 0
I have just tried this formula seems to have worked but I feel there is something wrong with this but i am not able to find what s wrong =IF(B2=(TEXT(TODAY(),"DDDD")),RANK(J2,J2:J113,0),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back